AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had my builder place electrical outlets exactly where I want my columns, thinking that this would work welll if I ever wanted to have powered surrounds. What I di not take into account, however, was to have the builder ensure that there would be extra length of wire to ensure I could bring outlet out 7-8" onto the face of the column. Any recommendations on what I can / should do to achieve this and still be within code?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,628 Posts
Just thinking out loud. If you use an old work box mounted on the column then it can be removed to reach inside the column at any time. If you add an extension to the existing wire with twist nuts and keep the connections inside the wall boxes wouldn't they be accessible?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I was not clear.

- I have standard electrical outlets on existing walls at the exact locations I want to place columns.

- The columns I plan to build will stick out 7-8" from the existing wall and will cover the existing outlets.

- The columns cannot completely cover outlets so I must move outlets onto the face of the columns.

- No provision was made for the romex in the wall to have an extra length so that I can pull it forward to the face of the column.

The suggestion to use an old work box to be able to access wire nut in the open existing outlet box was the route I was planning, but unsure if that is OK to do.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Okay, I don't know squat about code, but what I'd do would be look for a faceplate for the covered box that would allow the romex to be clamed into place so that your wirenut connections are not pulled at any point after you cover the box up. So basically wire nut a short piece in and use a cover plate that can clamp it. If it's properly secured it's very unlikely you'd need to access it again in the future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but I know that all electrical connections have to take place in an accessable junction box. I doubt that an inspector would consider a junction box inside a column "accessable", even with an old work box on the face of the column, since it would be almost impossible to get your hands/tools/light into the space to do any work. Can the columns be designed to be removable? I don't know if that would pass code, but it's an option you could check out.

James

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
This is easy to fix but not easy to maintain code. A simple solution would be to install a box on the colum face and wire it with a 14ga cord, one of those gray ones they sell for garbage disposals., Then simply plug the colum outlet into the existing wall outlet. Now depending if the colum is removable this is fine. If the colum is part of the structure and the inside outlet is sealed, this is not code compliant. Furthermore the plug is subject to overheating if the colum face outlet heavily loaded. I.E. a space heater plugged in.

ANother sloution would be to hard wire through a blank plate from the inside receptical to the coulm receptical. A little safer as there is no inside plug connection but still you can't have concealed splices. Any splice box must be accessable.

This is one of those areas where you will have to bend the code a bit yet still maintain commen sense safety.

My HT room was permitted as a recreation room. Per code I had to have an outlet every 8 feet of wall space. Now I didn't want all those outlets poking through my fabric and padding. The only thing ever to be plugged in is a vaccumm cleaner. So once the job was signed off I took the outlets out and just wire nutted the runs together. Then covered with a metal blank plate. The acoustic padding and fabric went over this. Now per code this is a violation. I have concealed splices. But since the outlet string only feeds a couple of outside recepticals, I'm not concerened. Afterall those splices aren't going to ever need access. If somebody comes along and tears out the HT in favor of a rec room, well you get your outlets back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I may have to go the removable column approach in which case I like the idea of installing a power cord to extend the outlet.

For those who are familiar with the electrical codes, do I have a work around to solve this issue if I want columns to be permanent?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
817 Posts
I think you have little option but to have new wires pulled, since as was noted earlier, any splices must be made inside of accessable junction boxes.

Sorry,

Dwight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.