AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about electrical wiring. I have new install in a existing house and am going to place the projector on the ceiling about 20 feet away from the video source. There is no electrical outlet there so I was hoping to run some 12 ga wire from my panamax surge protector to the a new outlet box for the projector to give it a clean power source and some surge protection.

Any reason this would not work? An alternative would be just to tap into the house wiring and create a new outlet box for the projector, but there would not be any space for surge protection/power filtration.

Thanks...James

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinhouston
I have a quick question about electrical wiring. I have new install in a existing house and am going to place the projector on the ceiling about 20 feet away from the video source. There is no electrical outlet there so I was hoping to run some 12 ga wire from my panamax surge protector to the a new outlet box for the projector to give it a clean power source and some surge protection.

Any reason this would not work? An alternative would be just to tap into the house wiring and create a new outlet box for the projector, but there would not be any space for surge protection/power filtration.

Thanks...James
General "extension" and appliance cords are not rated for in-wall use and cannot be used as such.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Not only that, but changing the wire type will not matter. Any time a plugin source is used, the wire must remain accessible. If you use an outlet box, it must be a part of your household wiring. A surge protector that goes in your electrical panel would be the way to go if your power is unstable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to be uclear, but I am talking about using in wall 12 ga romex type wire. Putting a plug on one end and plugging it into my panamax power conditioned and then running it to a in wall box with a plug that I will then plug the pj into.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
JC,

There is always the question of whether it will pass code (and whether you care), or that of at least passing the common sense test. It's very conceivable (and will work) to do what you're describing. In fact, that's what I plan on doing when I build my dedicated HT some day.

However, to be code compliant, you'd need to tap off of your existing house wiring (or run a new circuit) to an outlet box near your projector. Then just use a single outlet surge protector. It won't be conditioned, but rarely does it matter if it is (only if you have seriously fluctuating power to your house).

·
Registered
164 Posts
While what you are proposing will work, it will certainly not meet code and is a total hack job in my opinion. You need to either tie into an existing circuit or run a new one and then use a single point surge suppressor at the receptacle or a whole house suppressor.

-Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a safer way to do this that no one has mentioned yet, and if I remember right, it is code-approved as well. There was a thread about this a long time ago...

Take a male wall receptacle, like this and install it in your equipment room near the power conditioner, UPS, whatever. Then mount a normal wallbox and receptacle near your projector and connect the two receptacles together with normal Romex to meet the load on the circuit (14 guage will probably do...)

Pick up a 6' appliance extension cord and use it to connect the UPS to the power feed outlet that goes up to the projector.

Don't quote me, but I believe it passes code, someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can't run an extension cord in wall, and you can't have romex outside of the wall either (for code). So using the romex with a plug on the end won't pass.

I had my electrical inspection last week, and stumped the inspector. He had to go talk to the chief electrician to find an answer. They came up with a solution that would pass code, but I thought it would look cheesy, so I asked if I could use the method ryno described.

Here's the one I purchased .

So put a workbox in your ceiling and put an outlet to it. Run the romex in the ceiling over to another workbox in your equipment rack (or wherever your power conditioner is). Attach the romex to the outlet in the link above. Then just run a plug from that outlet to the conditioner and you are all good. AND it is to code.

Yes, you can buy outlets that are surge protected, and run it to your existing power, but what's the point? You bought this nice conditioner i'm sure, and why would you not want to run your PJ to it??

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
And only $300 !! :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
That $300 will connect your much more expensive projector to the conditioner/surge protector. Which is the worse of the two evils, $300 on the correct material for the job, or replacing the projector after being unprotected and submitted to damaging surges and voltage. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuneteller
That $300 will connect your much more expensive projector to the conditioner/surge protector. Which is the worse of the two evils, $300 on the correct material for the job, or replacing the projector after being unprotected and submitted to damaging surges and voltage. :)
What's better is that the $300 will buy 8 or 10 of the ones linked above and still provide your projector with all the clean power it needs. For $300, I'll let Panamax or Monster Cable or any other overpriced, pay-for-the-name company kiss my ass.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That's absolutely insane for no benefit (ahem, IMO of course..). Use a male outlet near the surge protector and it'll pass code (unless, as you said, local code prevents this) and work exactly as well as what you linked to. I'd get a UPS/line conditioner for the same cost instead.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not saying that is the only solution (panamax) but that setup (method of install) is the only way to effectively pass NEC. The leviton piece is fine, I didnt see it before because the link was down. Im not so much pushing the panamax piece as I am the method of install, because as someone else previously stated, you cant just attach a cord end to romex and plug it in to the conditioner. The panamax was the first link I thought of.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
No problem, makes sense. So the consensus seems to be use an outlet of some kind near the rack, and a cord between the conditioneer/surge protector/UPS and the outlet. Oh, and don't spend more than $20 on an outlet. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.