AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 4 dedicated 20 amp 10 awg elctrical lines into my hT. Does anyone have any questions on the manufacturer & type of wire I should use . Also , where to buy the wire? Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm no electrical engineer, But I dont think there will be any difference in the brands or type of electrical wire you use. A 10ga wire from company x is just as good as the 10ga from company Y.

Personally I would use Romex or any other flexible wire (make sure it's allowed by your city), mainly because I dont want to use the wires that I have to feed through the metal tubes - not to mention bending those tubes to shape... (Uck), and that Romex is very easy to work with.

Just get them from Home Depot or lowes or wherever is more covenient to you.

Now the outlets that you use.... That is a different story....

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Incidently, a 20 Amp circuit only needs 12 awg wire, unless you have a really long run and are concerned about voltage drop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuntleyHT
Personally I would use Romex or any other flexible wire (make sure it's allowed by your city), mainly because I dont want to use the wires that I have to feed through the metal tubes - not to mention bending those tubes to shape... (Uck), and that Romex is very easy to work with.

Just get them from Home Depot or lowes or wherever is more covenient to you.

Now the outlets that you use.... That is a different story....
Is a metal jacket or conduit an important requirement for HT wiring? I've seen a lot of HT's that simply use interior grade white PVC covering over the electrical wire.

Second, regarding outlets, what do you recommend? Hospital grade I presume? Any good links for Canadian suppliers of such outlets?

·
Registered
281 Posts
robertmee is correct about the 12 ga wire. 10 ga will get you a slightly lower voltage drop. If you wire each circuit to a lone receptacle, it needs to be rated for 20A. Most outlets are rated for only 15A. The 20A receptacle may run about $15 versus $3 or $4 for the 15A. Also, I agree with the other responses, use plain "home wiring" from Lowes or Home Depot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only advantage that MAY (emphasis on MAY) make a difference for HT when using metal conduit is if you are running video or audio cabling right next to it. Then your audio/video cable has an extra layer of protection against noise that is probably too minute to begin with.... But hey, every little thing counts right? I would rather just route the a/v cabling away from the electrical.

As far as hospital grade outlets are concerned, If you want to use them Good for you! And no doubt they are better than just regular outlets. But then again, to take full advantage of the premium you are paying for by using those Expensive outlets, Your power cords and plugs to your equipment must be of the same calibre, not to mention you have to have good enough equipment all around to even notice the difference... correct? I guess it's better to start off with the right stuff to begin with - if you have the budget for it =)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just had another thought. Why 4 circuits? I'm able to run all my stuff on 3, one for lighting, one for general room outlets (vacuum cleaner etc). The third is dedicated to the A/V equipment. I want all of my A/V equipment on the same circuit. This reduces the chance of creating a ground loop, and causing hum or other kinds of noise.

If you do need 2 circuits for A/V equipment, I believe it would be best to be on the same phase, instead of opposite phases. (Adjacent breakers are usually on opposite phases).

·
Registered
564 Posts
I ran two circuits to my equipment rack. If you ever want to use a powerful 7.1 receiver or separate amps, you will be use nearly all 20 amps right there. It's much cheaper to wire the extra circuit now.

--Burke

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You can save a few bucks and get the same build quality by buying SPEC grade outlets instead of hospital grade. You just don't get the isloated ground which most folks don't wire right anyway.

Also, while there isn't probably much difference in the wire performance, I can tell you from experience that ROMEX brand sure pulls a lot easier and doesn't get all twisted up like some of the cheaper brands.

Lastly, DEFINITELY run a couple of extra circuits if you can to your equipment closet. Personally, I have roughed in 6 dedicated circuits just for the audio and video equipment. 1 more for lighting and another for general room outlets.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a related comment/question.

I just ran 12/3 to my equipment closet. I figured I could easily use the second conductor for a second circuit if ever needed (I'm pushing the limits of my box already - 220 stove, 220 hot tub, 220 ac, 30 amp sub-panel, and so on). Of course, they would share ground and neutral. Any problems with this? Should I pull another 12 ga. to the closet??

Thanks,

patrick

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Patrick,

You can use a 12/3 for two circuits as long as the two hots come from opposing phases (ie select two consecutive breakers). I'm doing the same thing with 14/3 for a lighting circuit and an outlet circuit. Mount a junction box that is accessible (it can't be covered by drywall), and make up your joints in that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check your local building ordances. While most places don't require metal or even plasticc conduit, you should see if your town has unusual requirements.

Conduit can be helpful if there is a chance you will want to run additional wires after putting up the walls.

Romex or similar wires that meet Underwriters Laboratories safety requirements is acceptable for most towns.

Grounded metal conduit might help limit a 60Hz hum in your speakers if audio wires will run near the electrical wires. However metal conduit sounds like a pain to work with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.