AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Electro Voice Pro 12-B's that I want to build an enclosure for. These are going to be used as garage and outdoor back yard speakers for music. I do not have any experience with box design. I have purchased a few flat packs from DIYSG but this will be my first build from scratch.

My question is, if I am using these outdoors does it matter if I go ported or sealed? The specs call for 2.5 cu ft and that seems small for a 12" speaker. I have never played with WinISD but I am going to play around with it. I have provided a link with all the speaker specs, and I sniped a portion for the box size. If I port this speaker will I notice the low end that much outdoors. I'm also in a neighborhood and I can play it loud occasionally but for the most part it will be at medium to low volumes.

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
They're not designed for anywhere they'll get damp so useless under eaves etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a 2.5cuft box it's not going to have much bass at all. Hence, the note about going to 6cuft tuned to 40hz.
Thanks for the reply, I am just now starting to play with WinISD. I am new to it so it is a learning curve for me. I just downloaded it this morning and had to input the specs for the speaker as it wasn't in the database. I barely got going before the wife told me I had to help her with other stuff. When I glanced at the graph from the parameters that I put in it looked like it was only showing the low frequencies. Is WinISD only made for Subs, or can you use it for 2 way speakers?

They're not designed for anywhere they'll get damp so useless under eaves etc.
Yes, They will be in the garage most of the time. I have some small outdoor speakers on our pergola for normal days, but I want to pull these out when we want to party! I was going to finish the box with an outdoor UV urathane. I also thought about getting a fine mesh grill to keep as much UV light off of the speakers themselves. I thought about covering the speaker grills in a fabric as well. I'm not sure how that will look, or if I can get the fabric to not look all bunched up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts