AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put togethr a HTPC to use with my Electrohome 8500LC. The guys on the HTPC forum talk over my head a little. I want to run my HDTV satelite (DTC-100) through the HTPC and use the computer's DVD as well. Would also like to be able to record. Wondering if anyone has used the new Radeon 8500 AWI card with this type of system?:confused:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

I have a DTC-100 and am pleased overall with the unit; it gives out 1080i on any HD source, any NTSC channels are outputted at 540p; it may not be Faroudja quality that way but who buys a scaler to watch CNN? As to the Radeon; we upgraded my PC to a Radeon LE from a GeForce 2 and I am very pleased how DVDs are rendered with greater detail in the grays and deep grays; you will appreciate this the most on an LC-equipped projector that can display that correctly, like an 8500LC. I found it makes a nice improvement to boost the Radeon's output through a PC interface like an Extron 202xi; the extra kick to the signal adds punch to the image that was not previously there.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
As far as I know the Radeon 8500 AWI card is not out yet. I have one ordered. As far as recording HD the only way to do this from DSS is Dish Network 5000 and a Dish modulator connected to a Hi Pix or some other HD capture card. This assuming you want to record to the Hard Disk in your HTPC. OTA HD may be recorded with the Hi Pix Card. I don't have an EHome projector but I do have an HTPC and DTC100 connected to my Barco and I use a low cost VGA switch with good results. The DTC100 cannot go through the HTPC they must go both to a vga switch to select ether the HTPC or DTC100. I can't say for EHome but NEC XG series have empty slots for RGB cards that may be added to eliminate the switch and provide extra RGB or SVideo ports.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.