AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while watching a movie on my Electrohome Marquee 8000 the entire picture blacked out. There was about 1 minute left to the movie, and of course I had many guests over for this embarrassing incident. The picture flickered in and out momentarily, then all three tubes went dark. I turned the projector off and restarted it. I can hear the fan motors power up and the light on the back of the PJ shows that the power is on. I unplugged the PJ again and just tried to fire it up after 14 hours with the same results.

If anyone has any ideas that will help, please let me know. Of course, these things never happen when you are sitting alone watching a movie. Thanks for reading this post.

Kurt

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Kurt,

we'll need to know the manufactering date on the projector. It should be on the front plate right below the AC plug.

Let us know!

mike

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

If the unit is ceiling mounted, you might try reseating the horizontal sweep board, it is mounted vertically between the green and blue tubes; perhaps it got loose from its' connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for responding to my post and trying to help me solve this problem.

The manufacturing date of my Marquee 8000 is May 1994.

My PJ is ceiling mounted, and I tried resetting the horizontal sweep board, but the tubes are still completely dark. thank you for the suggestion though, Tim.

Kurt

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey there,

A couple of my friends had a similiar problem with thier 8500's.

It was either the low voltage or high voltage power supply, can't remember which, I only know that it was over $1000 for that power supply.

I am not saying that that is your problem, I am just pointing out what happened to a couple of friends' machines.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Failure of the horizontal deflection module can give the same symptom, and you do not always get an h fail lite on the back panel. You need to try substituting the HDM and the high voltage power supply to troubleshoot this puppy.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Tim's right, and I'll venture further that the chances are 85% its the HVPS, 10% the HDM and 5% chance its a neck bd causing a HV inhibit.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I have total respect for Mr. Newman and any opinion he puts forth, but in my own shop I am seeing more HDM problems than hvps problems, certain transistors on the HDM are very arc-sensitive and loss of one gives that symptom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently in the process of checking the possibility of this being an issue with my green neckboard. Last year, the plug that attaches an orange wire to the green neckboard from the card I have my RGB input plugged into on the back of the PJ broke. I soldered this plug, but at the mention of even the smallest chance it could be a neckboard issue, I decided to re-solder it. I am going to look into replacing this wire altogether now, whether this is the problem or not, since now I will always wonder if this is causing any future problems I may have.

I don't know what a HDM or a HVPS would cost me. Could this wire be causing the problem I am experiencing? If not, any ideas on what I would have to spend on a HDM and HVPS to try a switch out? Sounds like two pricey little items, and that I may wind up buying at least one of them that I do not need.

Thank you all again for the assistance you have offered. I cannot begin to express what a help you guys are to someone like myself.

Kurt

P.S. I have re-soldered the plug and still have completely blacked out tubes. I hope this info helps, but I do still plan on replacing this wire as soon as I can figure out where to get a new one.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Kurt,

Before we get to the swapping part, can you remove your HV power supply (behind front panel on top of red tube), you'll have to disconect the red high voltage lead from the voltage block on the green tube.

Next, remove vented cover (4 screws) and inspect for leaking brownish goo on grey potted (rubber) material. That surface should be where the red high voltage cable goes into the unit, inspect all of that same surface.

List the number on your HV power supply: 10-000XXX-XXP

mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed the HVPS and inspected the grey surface as you suggested, but I really did not even have to remove the vented plate, as I could already see a sticky liquid on the outside of the plate. Upon opening it, I noted more brownish sticky goo on the grey material, very near where the wire enters it.

As for the number you said to look for, I found no such number on the HVPS, but there is a sticker with a similar number in the LVPS. Here are the numbers listed on both the HVPS and the LVPS.

LVPS:

10-000-229-01P

Model # 10-0172

HVPS:

Part # 403795-002

Model # PTV34P143X1997

Since I don't think the manufacturer built these PJ's with leaking brown sticky goo in mind, I am guessing this is significant.

Thank you all again for your help, my poor PJ is in a thousand pieces all over my home theater, but thanks to you guys, I think I can get it back together. I might not even have any "extra" pieces when I'm through, hehe.

Kurt

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I wish Tim was right on this one, Kurt, but that was what I was afraid you'd find. Good work on that one Mikey...Start saving your money Kurt, these things are expensive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M NEWMAN
I wish Tim was right on this one, Kurt, but that was what I was afraid you'd find. Good work on that one Mikey...Start saving your money Kurt, these things are expensive.
Not to be picky, but I was the one who said it was the power supply. :)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Ok, M-Desantos,

You get the pat on the back, but when I was congratulating the ever brilliant Mr. Parker, it was for his quick help to Kurt in diagnosing the exact failure without having to resort to substitution of parts or further guesswork. I'm sure he was as confident about the potential of the problem being the HVPS as we all were, I just wanted to commend him for his efficient help in the diagnosis. Didn't mean to steal your thunder, my friend. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it looks like the mystery has been solved. I wish it was something less expensive, but I have had almost 3 years of awesome visuals out of this PJ, so I find it hard to complain.

Thank you all for your help with trouble shooting this problem. If it were not for you guys, I'd have to get my friends over here to pull this sucker off the ceiling, drop $300 or so on shipping each way, and then find out I need an expensive repair. It sucks living in an AV wasteland as far as high-end equipment repair goes, but you guys have saved the day. Again, THANK YOU!

Kurt

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey M NEWMAN,

No need for apologies or anything. I was just being a little sarcastic. :)

Kaolinn, if I am not mistaken, the HVPS is $1300. I don't remember if there is a core charge on the HVPS, but I do know that they said it is non-repairable, which makes no sense if they have a core charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems there is a "core charge" for the HVPS, but my guess is that the 2 circuit boards attached to it are the salvageable parts. This is just an assumption, but I don't see why the circuit boards would be bad or unuseable.

Kurt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.