AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at low end LCD and DLP projectors over the pass few months but now am considering an entry level CRT projector. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or concerns with the Electrohome ECP 3500 for home theater use?

Your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

That would be a later version of Electrohome 7" CRT system; typically employing Sony 07MS or similar electrostatic-focussed tubes and correct scan to 55khz; the specs might say 62khz but the width pulls in 10% as you approach 62khz. A reasonable entry-level system when paired with a line doubler and acquired for under $1000 for one with minimal tube wear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim,

Sorry for my ignorance but what would qualify as a good line doubler. I had hoped to use a HTPC with PowerDVD 4.0 as my primary source and run it at 1280 x 1024 if possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ive had this unit for 3 years.

i use a 77 inch wide (horizontal) screen at about

13 feet from the lenses.

i watch dvds via an old dvdo line doubler

and hdtv with directv via a rca dtc100.

i really anjoy watching movies with it,

and it is certainly more than worth its

cost to me (400+600 to get almost new tubes).

feel free to ask any specific questions you have,

but i have never conected it to a computer.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
One of the finest crt's in the price range, and my favorite... Good tubes, just make sure you get good tubes with no wear or burn.

It's downside is that although it's one of the smallest crt's it's also one of the tallest, so not the best for ceiling mount on a low ceiling.

Troy

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
1280 X 1024 is well past the sweet spot for this set. I would run it 1024 X 768 max.

A nice little set, I've sold a few of them recently..

Curt

·
Registered
81 Posts
From what I have heard these things will punt any LCD or DLP off the planet ;-)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyones comments. Sounds like the ECP 3500 would meet my needs if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Since I have a fairly small screen, 1024 x768 through a HTPC should work well. I also think that I figured away to ceiling mount the projector with close to 6' clearance beneath it.

And yes, no screen door (LCD) or rainbows (DLP)!

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.