AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its official!!! My CRT is up and running in my home.

About 6 weeks ago I won (on ebay) a 8110 plus electrohome from CRT Cinema. The price was 2000 including shipping. I received this massive machine about three weeks ago. It was very well crated and the outside of the case was in very good condition with only a few scuff marks on the top panel.

Since I have very high ceilings I built a very nice table for it. I also bought a 1.3 gain 45 by 80 inch fixed screen. CRT cinema was very helpful in all setup questions. I highly recommend their company to do any type of business with. Also, through them I purchased a center stage processor.

Now to get a good picture. I did some research id my area of West Palm Beach. I contacted a guy that was ISF approved named Bob Fucci. Very nice gut but he thought that Joel Silver(pres. of ISF) would do a better job calibrating my projector. So we spoke and made a plan for thursday night.

Joel and Bob both came to my home about 5:00. First, Joel went and checked the tubes to make sure they were good otherwise he would not continue. He was very pleased and then the real work came. They spent almost 4 hours total on the complete calibration... geometry, convergence,

white color, contrast, brightness, etc. Since I don't have any source other

then progressive DVD at the moment...This is what they calibrated for. When I get a set box Joel will come back and set a memory tor 720p or/ and 1080i. After they were done I opened a bottle of wine and checked out the art on the canvas. I was really suprised how tremendous even a DVD looks. Joel was not inexpensive however in this life you get what you pay for. Worth every penny. He brought all types of test patterns, light meters, etc. Even Joel said that it is truly amazing that for 2000 dollars you can get a picture that rivals just about anything.

So if you live in Florida and are looking for a good calibrator make sure to give ISF a call and maybe you will be lucky to get Joel.

So last night my family watched our first full movie...Gladiator. Fantastic ..

I cant wait to watch Monday Night Football on true HDTV.

This forum has been very helpful to me. Thanks everybody for all the info that is on the site. I am sure once I get my set box I will have plenty of questions. Enjoy the weekend.

Al

Electrohome 8110 plus

Denon 5800

ADS 5900 tower fronts

Klipsh Reverence series 7 center and surround

Center Stage Processor

Dalite 45 by 80 16:9 screen

Phillips Progessive DVD player

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I too recently set-up my first PJ (E-home 8500) . Even though I'm running a higher resolution signal from a HTPC, I am envious of your perfect tubes and professional calibration. These 2 steps remain a goal for me . The picture in my HT is still excellent, but I know that getting a pro to squeeze that last little bit out is worth it.

I also think this forum is the best thing I've ever found on the internet and I've bought my breakout cable from crt.cinema, very happy with it. BTW, what excatly does a center stage processor do? I assume it's some kind of multi-input switcher since your also watching broadcast signals?

Congrats, Dragan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dragan,

Sounds like u got a nice setup. No question good calibration is the key to a fine picture. The problem is that there are not too many people that know how to calibrate electrohome's correctly. I certainly don't.

The center stage is a 900 dollar scaler and line doubler. It also changes aspect ratios and resolutions. It needs to be calibrated along with the projector at the same time. Then all need to make adjustments to the picture is through the processor and not the projector.

I cant wait to get a setbox and see what my picture looks like at 1080i

and 720p. Take care and I hope u get the tweaks just perfect.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.