AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used Electrohome Marquee 9500 and discovered that it had HD10L Lenses when I received it.

According to VDC Technical Director, Rich Manning, these lenses are "rated for 54â€-71†image width (optimal)".

This is the most common, sought after lense size for the 9" CRTs.

Unfortunately, my screen width is 12' and again according to Rich the Lenses he recommends for my setup are the HD10's. "The HD10s’ are rated for 78†to 254†image width (optimal)".

So I am looking to swap my HD10L's for the HD10's.

The lenses are quite easy to remove & replace. My lenses are in pristeen condition and come from the original owner of the Marquee.

If your unit has the HD10 lenses and you're using a 54" - 71" wide screen, you will not be able to set focus properly. I'm hoping that we can possibly help each other out with a trade

Best regards,

Ed ( [email protected] )

p.s. For confirmation of Lense Throw Distance, Rich Manning can be contacted at:

VDC Display Systems

7177 N. Atlantic Avenue

Cape Canaveral, Fl 32920

Ph: 321.784.4427 (x243)

Fx: 321.784.6617
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would think that you would want GT17 lenses? You must be running your 9500 pretty hard if you have a 12' wide screen.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Ed,

Fireball is right. you'll want the "GT17" lenses, or even the GT26 lenses (125" to 171" diagonal).

The only "HD10's" that I know of are "Delta HD10" lenses, and they were for the 9500DM.

Though the specs of the HD-10L lenses are 59" to 86" (diagonal) on a 9500LC, and this is the "preferred screen diagonal width" for best performance, the HD-10L will do well on a larger screen. I've seen this lense perform very well on screens upto 100"

But because the true virtue of the 9500LC is it's resolution ability, I've found the best screen width to not exceed 96"

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Mike,

don't you think the 9500 would still be superior in resolution to an 8500LC at 120" ? Even if you lose some due to higher contrast settings I suspect the 9500 would still have superior resolution capability at that screen size.

Oliver Klohs

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mike........

I have a 9000lc and it has the delta HD 10 lenses on them I just hat the thing apart taking pictures of all the boards ect for future refrence, also if I am not mistaken these are the same as the 9" sonys ?

Kevin

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Oliver,

both the 9500 and the 8500LC are both liquid coupled. And they both use the same lenses. There is a special set of lenses that were optional for the LC (liquid coupled) Marquees, they were the "GT series". And were needed for larger screen sizes for tighter focus on the outer edges. The Delta HD-10L were standard on all liquid coupled Marquees. There was a set of lenses that were plain "Delta HD-10 (without the 'L')", my tech literature indicates that it was on the 9500DM, which did not list a "preferred screen" size for optimum performance. I don't recall ever seeing them on any Marquee.

The HD-10L may work fine on larger size screens greater than 96" but my experience has been that it's harder to focus the edges and you'll loose some punch and dynamics.

If it works, go for it. the only screen I've been pleased with over 96" was a high gain curved screen. That screen requires serious work to properly distribute the grids focus over the entire screen, when properly done it looks real good, other than the curved screen, I've seen serious performance compromise because a larger screen was the choice.

I don't think any CRT should be used on a screen that's larger than 96" wide. Forget brightness, that's not the only thing to be concerned with. A CRT projecting on a screen that's 100" wide seems to be a tad out of focus, and lacking in detail and punch.

Now that's my opinion, to each his own...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Mike,

is one of the reason the 9500 will not look so good on a very large screen the HD10L optics and this could be remedied by using a curved screen ?

Or do you mean to say that with a curved screen you don't have to drive the tubes so hard because of the large gain it usually has ?

If I remember correctly you did Jeff Smiths' setup - how is his edge focus ?

Oliver Klohs

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Klohs
Mike,

is one of the reason the 9500 will not look so good on a very large screen the HD10L optics and this could be remedied by using a curved screen ?

If I remember correctly you did Jeff Smiths' setup - how is his edge focus ?

Oliver Klohs
The GT series lenses were designed for larger screens. So depending on the size of the screen, you'll need the right set of lenses.

Maybe Jeff Smith will chime in on how well his edges were, If I remember correctly, he had HD-10L lenses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everybody for all the input!

I have confirmed that the GT26 lenses are the ones optimal for my screen size.

I will be swapping my HD10L lenses for HD10GT26 lenses from forum member Paul Bellemare (gn2).

I will be shipping my lenses out tomorrow so if any of you have had personal experience dealing with Paul, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Also I am looking for a "good" scaler/quadrupler for the Marquee 9500 (15' diag screen). My sources will be mostly videotapes, analog cable & video games. I am looking for something reasonably priced or used, until I can save up some more funds to purchase a quality piece in the future.

Regards,

Ed ( [email protected] )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as an update... I would also trade the HD10L lenses for HD10E lenses.

The HD10E's would also be optimal for my screen size, 15' diag.

Regards!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Agree about Paul. I bought my M-8000 from him. I couldn't be more pleased.

Larry

·
Registered
401 Posts
What about a Marquee 8000? What would the max screen size be for it? My main goal is the best picture possible. I do have edge focus problems but I haven't had an ISF calibration yet. I have gone through mechanical and electrical focus. I have only done stig and flare on the most accessable tube though. the other two have a lot of stuff in the way.

I'm assuming the 8" tubes would dictate a smaller screen than the 9".

I currently use a 52"X92" screen.

What lenses are the best ones for the reccomended screen size?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.