AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reposting my request because forum member Paul Bellemare had a previous swap in the making for his lenses, so I am still in need.

I recently purchased a used Electrohome Marquee 9500 and discovered that it had HD10L Lenses when I received it.

According to VDC Director, Sales & Marketing, R. P. Higgins, these lenses are rated for 54â€-71†image width (optimal).

This is the most common, sought after lense size for the 9" CRTs.

Unfortunately, my screen width is 12' and again according to R. P. Higgins (confirming the recommendation of forum members), the optimal Lenses for my setup are the HD10GT26's.

So I am looking to swap my HD10L's for the HD10GT26's.

The lenses are quite easy to remove & replace. My lenses are in pristeen condition and come from the original owner of the Marquee.

If your unit has the HD10GT26 lenses and you're using a 54" - 71" wide screen, you will not be able to set focus properly. I'm hoping that we can possibly help each other out with a trade

Best regards,

Ed ( [email protected] )

p.s. For confirmation of Lense Throw Distance, R. P. Higgins can be contacted at:

Director, Sales & Marketing

VDC Display Systems

7177 N. Atlantic Avenue

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

Ph: 321-784-4427 ext. 228

Fx: 321-784-6617

C: 321-431-8870

email: [email protected]

web: www.vdcdisplaysystems.com

·
Registered
359 Posts
Paul - I feel for ya buddy - this kind of action is despicable, Ed if your still out there - return Paul at least one set of lenses - the ones you promised him - or his own. By keeping both sets - this makes you a thief in the eyes of the law - a criminal, yup… a low down dirty rotten criminal (unless you do the right thing of course).

And I'd be willing to bet anything that your now using the lenses Paul sent you …aren't you? Because the scratch (if there was one) is invisible on the screen (out of focal plane)

good luck Paul

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Paul,

Sorry about your problem. Let me know if I can assist you. (I have some legal experience. ;) )

I've discovered that the 9500 I received has HD10L's, which I'd like to replace, since my screen is 104" wide.

If you still have a set of alternate lenses suitable for my screen size (or if you get the HD10GT26's back) I'd be interested. GT17s were recommended by Deniz Mutlu. If you know other sources, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Laurence

HD-10L's work nicely to 130" width, beyond that you cannot focus the edges properly. GT-17s do not focus well closer than 97-98" throw, or 67-70" width. I have not had first-hand experience with GT26's; is CRT Bob listening in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tim,

Just curious? I have some of the same questions baffling me about the HD-10L's and screen size. I spoke with Nathan at VDC a while back and he told me that the "optimal screen size to use would be 60" to 90", I have a 106" diagonal screen but was thinking of reducing to an 84" or 90". Am I losing anything by using the 106" such as, (picture quality or doing any damage to the tubes)?

Regards,

·
Registered
535 Posts
Paul,

Any news here?

Got your lenses back?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Since the 9500 has 9" crt's are the lens for the 9500 larger than than the lens for an 8000 which has 8" crt's?

I can't seem to get my edges to focus either and I was wondering if all of the part numbers mentioned here apply to the 8000 as well.

I like to make sure I have the correct lenses for my screen width of 82".

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
401 Posts
Gn2, Thanks for getting back with the info. I did a shlemypoofy focus thingy on one tube because it was easy to get to. The other two had a bunch of electrical stuff to move out of the way and I did not have time.

I did go into the menu and look at the test image on the other two tubes. They need the shmeflepopper adjustment. Sorry about the spelling, I'm not even trying. At some point after I have done all the calibrating I can and after saving up more $, I will have an ISF guy over to calibrate it. I'll make sure he knows his CRT Pj business well.

Brad

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim
Say Laurence

HD-10L's work nicely to 130" width, beyond that you cannot focus the edges properly. GT-17s do not focus well closer than 97-98" throw, or 67-70" width. I have not had first-hand experience with GT26's; is CRT Bob listening in?
Yes, I'm here.I have been using the GT-26 for a year and find that they focus very well on my 85" wide screen, at the center and up to the edges evenly.

Both front and back knobs are almost at the maximum right position though, looks like it would maybe not focus on less than 80".wide (with full wide raster).

Rob

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Rob: I had the same experience with GT26's. My screen is 84"s wide and the GT26's just *barely* focussed with the focus knobs all the way over to one side. I would think one would want to have a screen considerably largrer than 84"s to take advantage of the lenses, but they *can* be used.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Someone else already mentioned it, but just to re-interate: Scratches on the OUTSIDE of the lenses (the end closest to screen) will do NOTHING to the picture quality. At that end of the lense, the entire lense surface is used to focus the light so a small (or even not so small) scratch will do NOTHING to the image quality.

Scratches on the OTHER end of the lens assembly (the end closest to the CRT's) will most likely be noticeable on screen as they're very close to the focal plane of the phosphor surface.

Just an FYI. Don't disregard lenses that have scratches on them people!

Kal

·
Registered
739 Posts
hi,

if anyone has a HD10L green tube in almost new condition please email me. I need one.

Thank

Carlos [email protected]

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Do you need a tube or a lens ? The HD's are NOT color filtered or corrected in any way and you can put any HD10L on the green tube.

·
Registered
739 Posts
gn2

I need the tube. I just bought my 9500 from a forum member and i was told the slight burn on the tube would not show if i mounted it where he said to, but when i mounted my pj using the correct position which i got from Tim Martin, you can see the 4:3 phospher burn in the picture. So i believe i need a green tube. The burn is driving me crazy.

thanks

Carlos

·
Registered
858 Posts
when you came over to look at the unit. I showed you how to set it up so the wear could not bee seen. I showed you the wear and also showed you why you needed to set it up with the raster set to the original size.

GN2 is correct Move it back unless you want to replace a perfectly good tube.

If you replace that tube let me know. I will purchase the old one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.