AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my heart set on a set of PSB Synchrony Twos to use as my new HT/music setup. (2xTwo towers, 2xTWo B for surround, 1xTwo C for center, Sunfire Super Jr sub). My receiver will be a Yamaha RX-V1800.

I was hoping to get some recommendations with regard to electronics for 2 channel music, which will be my primary use for the system, or at least some feedback regarding what I'm thinking about for now:

1. RX-V1800 + NAD C272 stereo amp -- receiver will be in pure stereo mode for music listening, pre-out to the NAD amp

2. Parasound 2100 + NAD C272 stereo amp -- the 2100 is a relatively inexpensive preamp with HT bypass that will allow me to keep the HT side completely off for music listening, at the added expense of $500-600.

3. Cambridge Audio 840A integrated -- has a fixed level input similar to a bypass to integrate with the HT, will also allow me to keep the HT side off for music listening. This is probably the most expensive option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I like that the most too. That way I can go from step 1 to 2 incrementally without having to put everything in an integrated box.

Anyone else have any suggestions, perchance?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just bought the Synchrony One Towers and Synchrony One Center. I need the best amp to really bring them to life as well. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I am thnking about the NAD Masters M25, Parasound Halo A52, or a used Proceed AMP5.

Advice?

(or should I just pick up an Emotiva amp?)

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr /forum/post/15222102

I am thnking about the NAD Masters M25, Parasound Halo A52, or a used Proceed AMP5.

Advice?

Don't know about NAD or Emotiva, but Halo A52 weights 50 lbs., and the AMP5 ships at something like 110 lbs. so I assume net weight of the AMP5 is more than 85 or even 90 lbs.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:

Advice?

The NAD Master Series M25 is a superb amp for the money, it's a real sleeper. I loved it and it should match well with the PSB's becasue they're affiliate companys. If you're only running a 5.1 system you can always passively bi-amp your mains.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If this thread is purely for power's sake, and not the need for a dedicated stereo pre/pro, then how about a receiver + 2ch outboard amp? You can do that it within budget easily. I have a beefy NAD amp, works great, but a couple of Outlaw monoblocks would be a lot less expensive. Then there are the pro amps for truly affordable prices.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well, then, shoot, just add an amp to the receiver. Even 2ch for now if you want. Power supply of the receiver will be less taxed in driving other channels, when the outboard amp is powering the tough to drive Synchrony's.

Do we call them Synchronys or Synchronies?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
lol...

Well, i want my fron stage to be uniform. (i am getting the Synchrony One center channel as well)

Someone PM'd meand told me to get a Gemstone amp... Anyone have any info on those?

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:

Advice?

Just pick up an Emotiva Amp. or 2.

For 5 channels, you really have 3 options:

1. The XPA-5, which is a great option

2. Or a XPA-2 and a XPA-3, The XPA-2 to drive your mains and the XPA-3 for the centre and rear channels. A VERY popular option.

3. The MPS-2. Emotiva's top of the line. a 7 channel amp, people tend to prefer this when listening to music, though some prefer the XPA series for HT.

I see some mention weight of amps. Beware, XPA amps tend to weigh between 80 & 90 lbs, the MPS weighs in at 120 lbs and therefore needs to be shipped in sections.

have fun.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber /forum/post/14237555

I have my heart set on a set of PSB Synchrony Twos to use as my new HT/music setup. (2xTwo towers, 2xTWo B for surround, 1xTwo C for center, Sunfire Super Jr sub). My receiver will be a Yamaha RX-V1800.

I was hoping to get some recommendations with regard to electronics for 2 channel music, which will be my primary use for the system, or at least some feedback regarding what I'm thinking about for now:

1. RX-V1800 + NAD C272 stereo amp -- receiver will be in pure stereo mode for music listening, pre-out to the NAD amp

2. Parasound 2100 + NAD C272 stereo amp -- the 2100 is a relatively inexpensive preamp with HT bypass that will allow me to keep the HT side completely off for music listening, at the added expense of $500-600.

3. Cambridge Audio 840A integrated -- has a fixed level input similar to a bypass to integrate with the HT, will also allow me to keep the HT side off for music listening. This is probably the most expensive option.

How big is the room that you are using the system in? How loud do you play your music? If the room is medium to small and you don't play all that loud, the RX-V1800 should be able to drive them. But if the room is big and or you listem to music really loud, you'll need seperate amps. Outlaw audio makes some good clean power amps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts