Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I can constantly hear electrostatic discharging sound inside the Marquee 9500. When I opened the cover, I guess those electrostatics are produced from the High Voltage splitter but I am not sure.

Do the owners ever meet this condition?

Is this a problem, or something common?

How can solve this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
What you have is known as ARCING. Usually not a problem as the projector will still work fine as far as I have seen. You might want this checked out by a technician just to be sure. Replacement of the splitter could be a healthy decision for peace of mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Take a look inside when this is happening, it has to be dark. See if it is coming from one spot. That might locate the problem for you. Other wise it might just need a good cleaning.

Deron

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Some static discharge noise is not unusual in an area of high humidity; it is not worrisome unless the picture is cutting out. Sleeving the anode leads to each tube with PVC tubing may help keep the anode leads off bare metal; this requires resoldering the tips of the anode connecots and is best done by a technician.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all you guys' responses.

Does arcing is just the phenomenon of static discharging inside?

I am a little confused. Althouth I read a lot of posts about the arcing

problem. I still have no idea what it is. Can someone tell us what it is

and how it happens?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggyr
What you have is known as ARCING. Usually not a problem as the projector will still work fine as far as I have seen. You might want this checked out by a technician just to be sure. Replacement of the splitter could be a healthy decision for peace of mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Arcing occurs when the electrical field between two points is high enough to cause ionization of the gas or air. Lightning rods are pointed because the point causes more concentrated field to occur where the point is and the static electricity in the air then discharges to that point. With a projector, you have very high voltages which result in high fields. The components are normally covered with rubber boots and made of phenolic materials that will withstand the high fields without breaking down. With time and fans running, dust and contamination can build up on components like the high voltage splitter that supplies the high voltage for each of the 3 tubes. This contamination can be enough to allow the arcing to occur across the surface of the splitter. Once it does, small carbonized particles form on the surface of the splitter because of the burning of the dust. Now the field will breakdown in that area more easily as the current can across to the carbon particles. Once it arcs, some of the particles are destroyed by burning and the field builds back up again. If it is arcing on a regular basis, the offending piece should be replaced. Continued arcing can damage the power supply as the current flow during arcing can often be much higher than what the power supply was designed for.

With that said, trying to clean high voltage power supplies is not something for the inexperienced or faint of heart. The voltages are extremely high and can be quite lethal. The basic guideline is to try to observe the arcing with both hands behind your back. Once observed, you can report back your findings and/or have an experienced projector technician address the problems.

..Doyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.