AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know where to post this (certainly not the ultra hi-end gear section)...

Any ideas for mounting a small converter box (digital adapter, actually) for an LCD panel under a kitchen cabinet? What used to be a simple TV in the kitchen has become a mess of wires and boxes since my digital/HD FiOS upgrade.

Looking for something elegant and simple. Tried simply velcro'ing it under there, but the adhesive did not stick to the DCT700 converter which gets quite warm.

The adhesive pulled the finish off the underside of the cabinet and I don't want to do any more until I get a better idea. Let's see how you did yours!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I'd put the 700 in the cabinet and use an IR/RF repeater.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm not sure that would work with non-metallic CB's. How about some sort of "U" bracket that is mounted to the underside of the cabinet.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

Well, if it wasn't electronics, I would just make my own mounting brackets from 2 short pieces of aluminum L angles. The angles would screw into the sides of the object and the bottom of the cabinet.

Or make a mounting plate: open up the case, and drill holes in the top (or bottom) half of the case. Screw or bolt the case half to a 1/2" thick piece of plywood that is oversized compared to the case; use standoffs if desired. Reassemble the case. Then mount (using screws) the oversized plywood plus case to the underside of the cabinet.

But I'm not a fan of installing electronics where heat gets trapped and can shorten the life of the unit. But in this day of cheap, throw-away electronics ...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/18186778

I'm not sure that would work with non-metallic CB's. How about some sort of "U" bracket that is mounted to the underside of the cabinet.

Attach magnets to both box and cabinet with silcone bathtub caulk or the like (peels off when you need to remove it).

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I've seen some desk-top filing baskets (like used for "In" and "Out" sorting) that look like they are made of PVC or acrylic, shaped like a rectangular tubing.

Maybe find one that matches or contrasts the look of your cabinets.

Drill some small screw holes in the top of it, then some bigger "ventilation" holes in the bottom (directly below the screw/mounting holes, for screwdriver access, of course), and mount it to the underside of the cabinet with wood screws.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/18195728

I've seen some desk-top filing baskets (like used for "In" and "Out" sorting) that look like they are made of PVC or acrylic, shaped like a rectangular tubing.

Maybe find one that matches or contrasts the look of your cabinets.

Drill some small screw holes in the top of it, then some bigger "ventilation" holes in the bottom (directly below the screw/mounting holes, for screwdriver access, of course), and mount it to the underside of the cabinet with wood screws.

I like this one, Ken... just need to find something that fits. Most likely one that's "note pad" sized would work. Even black acrylic wouldn't be bad - would match the black piano finish on the TV and the converter box. Staples, here I come!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts