AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello world, i have a query that i need some help with, as it has been bugging me for some time now.

I have managed to set up my HTPC from old parts around my house, set up behind my TV , in my lounge running XBMC and i must say i love it.

however i have an issue.. i can easily turn the pc off with my remote (ehome ir mce remote) however since my pc is behind my TV, it's quite a pain turning it back on as for some reason i cannot get my remote to power my pc on (even from sleep, s3 sleep that is)

i have resorted to having 2 wires trailing next to my tv, which i simply touch together to reboot my computer, weather it be from sleep or from shutdown. 

does anyone have any suggestions to make this more...... "elegant"? such as a really cool power button designed to be on desktops?

or maybe an cool idea of making the two wires touch.. 

how do you guys do it?!

my case is really ugly and i don't want it to be seen.. 

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated, 

Thankyou! :)  

·
Registered
11,181 Posts

Firstly, welcome to AVS.

Most of us have a similar problem (see any of the Harmony remote threads). Oddly enough, I have a Lenovo keyboard that wakes up the computer with the space bar or (I think) "mouse" button.

Make sure your Windows USB device properties are set to "allow wake" or whatever it's called.

I presume you've tried EVERY button on the remote? You never know.

Otherwise you can just get a button from RS and wire it up.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12706295&locale=en_US

Certainly more "elegant" than your current solution. 

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hello, thanks for your quick reply.. 

yes i have tried every button on the remote, and the thing that bugs be the most is the fact that (when the pc is either sleeping or shut down),  the IR receiver is actually lighting up whenever i press a button, so the usb is powering the device, and the device is receiving the command.. I've checked the bios, multiple times and can't find any setting to change :(

i thought about a that kind of solution.. but the wires could break to easily.. it would literally still be two wires, just with a tiny button on the end.. thanks for the suggestion though..

any other ideas..? maybe.. i bigger button.. of some sorts? :S 

thankyou for your help :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Use a tablet or smartphone to wake it up via Wake on Lan. Keep in mind not all wireless devices support wake on lan so if at all possible have a wired connection from the pc to router.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
What IR dongle do you have exactly? Some of the cheaper knock offs simply won't wake. A better dongle will probably do the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

hmm that looks good but maybe a little complicated.. id rather have a more.. simple solution.

Thanks for your reply though! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I've tried that.. but in all honestly i wold rather have a more official approach.. i know that sounds like a pathetic reason not to do this but.. well its my reason.

plus it won't wake it from s4 sleep or boot the pc. it might be to have something that would be able to do that.

Thanks for your reply though :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on#post_24496833

What IR dongle do you have exactly? Some of the cheaper knock offs simply won't wake. A better dongle will probably do the trick.
oh... i didn't know that.. do you have any suggestions?? :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Reactions: EricN

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb12356  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on/0_100#post_24495419

I've checked the bios, multiple times and can't find any setting to change

Do you have a wired keyboard you could plug in? If plugged in and you put computer to S3, will any keys on the keyboard wake?

In Asrock uefi bios, you would need to go to Advanced -> ACPI -> Keyboard Power On and change it from "Off" to "Any Key"

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you have any TV cards? I have found some of them have their own IR that has to be disabled in windows devices before other IR receivers work.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb12356  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on/0_100#post_24497081

oh... i didn't know that.. do you have any suggestions??

Thanks
Rosewill, HP, Lenovo

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
My solution for turning on the HTPC is to leave it on 24/7. No issues with remotes.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on#post_24497550

My solution for turning on the HTPC is to leave it on 24/7. No issues with remotes.

X2 What is wrong with sleep??? My machines are on 24/7 and go to sleep and awake via remote.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you want the dead simplest way to do this set the BIOS to power on after power failure and get one of those remote control power outlet switches.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on#post_24497897

X2 What is wrong with sleep??? My machines are on 24/7 and go to sleep and awake via remote.
Right, that's the problem, he can't get his to wake from sleep. Hence the thread, which I, personally, have found fascinating.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on#post_24497933

If you want the dead simplest way to do this set the BIOS to power on after power failure and get one of those remote control power outlet switches.
Not bad, but do you really want to wait for your computer to boot up every time you want to use it (as opposed to just waking from sleep)?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1523032/elegant-way-to-turn-my-htpc-on#post_24497897

I don't even let mine sleep. I just let the screen power down. My remote macro that turns on my system dumps WMC to Live TV which I have found is the best way to wake up any HDMI connections.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts