AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I believe that Elemental Design has been effectively out of business for over a year. At one point, eD subwoofers were well regarded and considered a reasonable value. eD had the misfortune to purchase a large number of amplifiers that were failing rapidly.

I suspect you saw the a5 350 on Craig's lists or EBay. If you purchase you may need to replace both the driver and the amp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw one for sale on craiglist for $495, wondering if it's a good price or should I go with something newer. I did read the eD thread and seems people are having problems with the amps. Also, how would this compare to the SVS PB-1000, HSU in the $500 range?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
This sub would totally destroy anything in the $500 range. You honestly would have to spend $700+ to do better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it worth taking a chance for $500 with the thought that the drive and amp may die sooner than later? That's the only thing I'm afraid of

·
Registered
258 Posts
My first one I bought back when ED was still around. I bought it used and the amp lasted a few months before dying.

The second one I bought with a blown amp.

I had both the amps fixed by dave off of this forum and they work great.

One of them is sitting on a sub riser...I'd like to get a matching riser for the other one some day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts