AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I think I have finally narrowed down my 2 speaker choices. I am looking at either the 6T6 M's from elemental designs (with a center) or the PSB Image T65's and a C60 center and was wondering which would hold up better for strictly home theater use (I do not listen to music on my system.)

I know that the PSB's are twice the cost of the Elemental Designs, but I have heard such great things about them for their value. I also read every review I could find on the T65's and some say they seem a little muddy in the mid-bass area, where as the eD's are crisp and clear. I already have the eD 6T6 center now and have the towers on order, but I am second guessing if I should just spend the extra money and get the PSB's. I have around $1100 to play with and currently have a full Athena AS-F2/R1 setup paired to an Onkyo TX-SR805. My home theater room is 17x13x10.

Thanks guys,

-Jonathan

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/12926728

Hey guys,

I think I have finally narrowed down my 2 speaker choices. I am looking at either the 6T6 M's from elemental designs (with a center) or the PSB Image T65's and a C60 center and was wondering which would hold up better for strictly home theater use (I do not listen to music on my system.)

I know that the PSB's are twice the cost of the Elemental Designs, but I have heard such great things about them for their value. I also read every review I could find on the T65's and some say they seem a little muddy in the mid-bass area, where as the eD's are crisp and clear. I already have the eD 6T6 center now and have the towers on order, but I am second guessing if I should just spend the extra money and get the PSB's. I have around $1100 to play with and currently have a full Athena AS-F2/R1 setup paired to an Onkyo TX-SR805. My home theater room is 17x13x10.

Thanks guys,

-Jonathan

You are trying to compare two different animals...The T65 is as crisp and clear than the eD's without being too forward. The T65 also provides imaging and soundstage that the eD cannot equal. Yes, the T65 might be somewhat muddy, but you will not even notice, actually you said yourself that you will use them for HT only; they are perfect for that, as they can produce a fuller sound than the eD's. And unless you do critical music listening at reference levels you can never tell they are a little muddy; so little that I wouldn't even bother.

When I was auditioning prior to purchase I was seriously considering the T55, which has basically the same sound as the T65, but I also like music, and found them somewhat muddy, so I compared to the T45, not a hint of being muddy. So, I went with the T45, saved a couple of hundreds, and extremely happy with them. The T45 lacks some bass extension, but I make up for it with the sub.

The T65 is a great speaker, and even better for HT, to me, it beats the eD. It will also fill your room better with sound, just simply because of the physics of its construction.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the great response PR, I think I may just go with the PSBs so I don't feel like I need to upgrade again the future. I purchased 2 MFW-15's so bass is not an issue at all. Do you feel the T45 or T55 is a better value since I purchased 2 great subwoofers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts