Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I posted in Tweaks, but here's something I tried:

Well I am an admitted tweak-aholic but one tweak I have never tried was to get my speaker cables off my carpeted floor. I have heard about this tweak for years, but never had the desire to try it.

I was cruising through a very large dollar store yesterday and stumbled across tall shot-glasses. This are about 1.5" in diameter and 4" tall. I wanted the 4" tall ones because my speakers are triamped so it needs to support 3 cables per speaker. I read elsewher that ceramic is desired over glass, but 10 shot glasses cost me only $7 so off I went.

My ears tell me there is more openess to the sound.

A very cheap tweak that is definitely worth a shot ! ..... I'm so funny :)

Anyone else have success with this tweak ?

There has been previous discussion at AA as to why this tweak works -> something like the carpet interferes with the dialetric used to surround the cable, or something like that.

- Andy

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
I've been doing this since 1996. And our Az Audiophile Society some years ago did this for a demo and the concensus was also a sonic improvement.

Except for the past few years its been my Granite Audio silver balanced interconnects that are elevated - as my mono amps are at my speakers with one foot Granite Audio one foot biwired speaker cables - so the speaker cables don't need anything to hold them up. HA!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Andy,

We elevate our speaker cables and interconnects in our CES exhibits. We've been doing it for four years now. I noticed similar improvements that you mention in the sonics being more "open".

We use the ceramic "Elevators" brand from AudioNut.com . We modified them slightly by adding some OEM cable management clamps. This applies a light grip to the cables and allows for some tension. The interconnects stay parallel to each other and sag very little between elevators. It looks neater at CES and allows the elevators to be spaced further apart. You can see a photo of this on our website in our CES exhibit coverage.

http://www.graniteaudio.com/show/page5.html

http://www.graniteaudio.com/photo/2002elevator.jpg

Bob Williams, friend and owner of AudioNut.com , saw my mod at CES2001 and really liked it. He now offers this mod, with my kind permission, to his good customers.

The cable specs will measure differently when suspended in the air vs. flat on the carpet. The elevators also add more insulation from carpet static.

I like them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I used to use the elevators from Audionut, but sold them to my friend Dave Aiken whom you may know from AA wwhen he moved to a new place and it was all carpeted.

I have found that the differencce is MUCH more noticable on carpet than on a wooden floor. My speaker cables are now also very short and not in need of elevating, but one question, Steve... do you not now elevate your interconnect as they are presumably very long. I seem to remember you saying so at some point.

Is there a difference between speaker cables and interconnects in how they are effected by elevation?

And what about power cables?

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Dave, yes I still elevate my interconnects. But I honestly just do it, I haven't listened for the difference either way, as I had already been doing this before with then long speaker cables.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Dave,

I have compared with all of my cables and it does make a difference on the interconnects as well but elevating them was only part of my end tweak. I separated them too. I noticed more difference by separating the cables than I did with elevating them above the floor (I have hardwood). Along the entire length of the cables I went with a minimum distance of one inch on interconnects and 2 inches with power cords. If possible, Get your lamps out of there completely and off of this circuit.

I don't have the elevators from Audionut in my system but they function very similarly to what I'm using and those look better than mine. I noticed that the elevators from Audionut, with Don Hoglund's mod, separates the cables by about an inch. As long as you're tweaking your cable position, try separating all of them too. I think you will be pleased with the results. I know I am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.