AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding between the Samsung 507 and the Sony 50XBR800. I have seen comparisons between the 507 and the 60XBR, but not the 50 to 50 :confused: . I am considering these two because of the limited space I have available and the short distance from the bottom of the bases and the bottom of the screens.

I currently have a Sony 32" direct view. This is my primary TV in the house and its replacement will be used for analog TV including premium cable channels (HBO), DVD and HD cable. My hope is that the quality will be acceptable for the non HD network broadcasts and ESPN, etc.

The main question I have is that the position of the monitor is elevated above a fireplace in custom cabinetry. I know this is not ideal, but am wondering if it will be acceptable.

In the two primary viewing positions currently in the room, the dimensions are as follows:

Samsung Angles (different that Sony because of the lower screen center)

Viewing position #1:

13' out tangent to screen,

5' off axis horizontally,

3' below vertically, (~3.5' for Sony)

----------

14 feet distance

21 degrees off axis H

12 degrees off axis V

Viewing position #2 (slightly worse angle)

10' out tangent to screen,

5' off axis horizontally,

3' below vertically for 507, (~3.5' for Sony)

----------

12 feet distance

26 degrees off axis H

15 degrees off axis V

There are other viewing positions that are further away and higher. My main goal is to increase screen area due to these greater viewing distances (~20 feet). The cabinet dimensions are (without firing up the tools) 52.25" W x 45" H x 25" D. I can fit the Sony if I remove the slide in hiding doors to get 55" Width.

Does anyone have a similar vertical off axis setup? Will angling the set slightly improve? Will angling the set cause any problems with performance or life expectancy?

BTW, I am very impressed with this forum. It has drastically changed my perception of the purchasing process. I am still considering the purchase at a local Brick and Mortar establishment despite the possibility of saving with an online purchase. The shipping hastle is a detraction.

I would appreciate any comments, insight, or recommendations of other sets that will fit. I have historically been a big Sony fan, but have become impressed with the Sasmung product. I demo'd one yesterday for about an hour and compared to the 60" Sony in stock (with a stuck pixel). I will not comment on the detractions I noticed on either unit, as they have been covered here numerous times and appear to be correctable. Besides, I am no expert.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Patrick

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 437 is mounted over a fireplace as well.....about 42" to the bottom of the cabinet from the floor if I had to guess. I've had to angle the set down 8 degress but it looks fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom of my cabinet is 57 inches from the floor. The distance to the closest position is, as mentioned above, about 10 feet. Does anyone have the distance handy from the bottom of the 507 to the bottom of the screen as well as the screen height? And on the Sony?

I think the Sony's center is 6-8 inches above the Samsung's. With a 9 foot ceiling, I think the Sony is pushing it, but I am not sure how the off-vertical-axis performnce compares.

I spoke with my local salesperson about my dead pixel concerns on the Sony and he assured me that it is at the discretion of the technician and if it is a visible blue spot then it is actually a cluster of pixels and would definitely be replaced. Black spots (?) are more subjectively considered.

Also, what are the price on the "power" buy I have read about on the 507?

Thanks again

·
Registered
995 Posts
Bottom of 507 to bottom of screen is 8"

Screen height is 25". I just picked my 507 up and it sits 44" from floor to bottom of screen. NO issues with viewing from couch or standing. From eye to screen is 12'. Sweet!

Power buy is over, but it was $3,168; no tax and free shipping. I have made no adjustments to this set and have been viewing ATT analog cable. Some channels not so good but wouldn't say unwatchable. Some channels are not too shabby. Son is watching Nickolodean (sp) and it looks pretty darned good! This is a signal split 7 ways on crappy RG-6. Am going to run CommScope RG-6 Quad this weekend run to a Channel Vision 8 way amplified splitter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.