AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer is asking $199 for the Toshiba accessory stand that elevates the set. I can not understand why this piece of plastic should cost that much. I can elevate my 40H80 very easily from simple supplies from Home Depot. I have checked the internet and called a few suppliers and the Toshiba elevation stand does not appear to be a common item. I'd be willing to pay $100 for a professional looking elevation stand, but not $199. Anyone on this forum have any info? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
We found an equipment rack and matching credenza/pedestal that I removed the wheels from, bolted together to form a rigid unit and placed the widescreen on it, after removing its wheels and adding some dark, non-skid, carpeting. This raised my HDTV about 20" off the floor, putting our viewing from the couch 'off-axis' enough, such that when you were standing in front of the couch watching, the picture looked fine, but when you sat down, you would notice how the picture darkened somewhat. I solved that by tilting the set about 15 degrees towards where our heads were when seated. I used a framing square on the side of the set to aim along while I tilted the set. When I could see my wife's head...I was there! I made some wedges that would insert along the entire sides of the set for support and painted them black.

Finally, because I'm nervous about the set being tilted, I secured it with a chain/turnbuckle system that I attached to the top of the cabinet and base of the pedestal as an additional precaution.

To me, this is an ideal setup because small children and pets can walk in front of the set without getting in the way of the screen...(no more 'down in front' calls), children can't put their grubby little hands on the screen, and you have more of a theater feel to the room. I alse had enough room to keep the entire unit about 12" out from the wall, making it easy to wire, troubleshoot, and vacuum the dust out from.

Hope this helps. The entire setup cost, maybe, $300.

I failed to mention that the credenza raised the Mitsubishi 20" off of the floor.

Doug

[This message has been edited by DTravz (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
The stand is not plastic but is a heavy fibre board. It is nicely finished to match the television appearance and has a smoked glass door. The stand probably weighs about 30 pound, and you have to assemble it.

Is $199 too much, yes! But, it is a custom accessory, you could always buy cinder blocks to accomplish the same thing, but ....

I bought the TV and stand through a buying club (UCC) and the total cost with delivery of both was just over $1900. I think the stand was $70.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both of your replies. I stand corrected on the construction of the stand, but I think we agree that $199 is too much. Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tom,

I have the stand and can highly recommend it from

a functional and appearance standpoint. I believe I

paid $ 161 on line, including shipping. If you are

interested, I can locate the .com address of the

etailer. The assembly took about an hour. I agree

that the prices are horrid, but it is of very heavy

construction and matches the 40H80 beautifully. Also

provides a much better viewing angle. If appearance

isn't a factor, anything providing six to eight inches

elevation will prove beneficial.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi tuscatl, Please post or send me the .com address for the company that shipped you one for $161. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to close the loop on this thread, the part number for the Toshiba stand is ST4016. Several sources on line sell the stand for $129, but shipping is about $46. One of the sources is: www.Consumer-Direct.com

tuscatl, Thanks for the info. Tom

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Tom,

Dave Frattaroli built one for his 40h80.

Here's the link his diy project.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Errol, Thanks for posting those instructions. I saw this earlier, but didn't bookmark it. Thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Informed by on-line sites that they are out of stock on the Toshiba ST4016. Belmont TV, Alexandria, Virginia, just told me that the Toshiba stand ST4016 has been discontinued since the 40H80 is being replaced by a 42 inch set. So, I'm off to Home Depot to construct an elevation structure with wheels on it. Tom

·
Registered
570 Posts
It looks like Toshiba has 2 stands for the 40H80. The ST4015 lifts the set about 8", and has smoke-plastic front. The SV40XW is about 3", and no smoke-plastic cover.

Hopefully I can still get one of these, since the 40H80 is now discontinued.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.