AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
TVGuide expired.
Went to Elgato support->new owner website.
Went to shop.
Ordered TVGuide 1 Year Update-Payment Went Through, Received Link & Instructions.
Installed new Version & Updated Guide Subscription w/Link- OK.
No Updates. Clear EPG. No Guide Data Anymore.
Click Update -> Error Message "Could Not Connect To Server".
Internet Connection Works Fine.
Reverted To ATSC PSIP Guide Data. OK. But Now No Extended Metadata.
I decided to renew my TV Guide subscription again. The other ways to get EPG data just didn't work out very well. So I paid my money and tried to set up a new account. It kept saying the email address is already being used. Of course it is since that's my email address from the last time I renewed TV Guide. I finally figured out what was causing the problem. A few months ago I was having a problem with EyeTV not recording some channels so someone at Eyetv support sent me a link for the latest beta of Eyetv. Right after i trashed that beta and installed the latest public release everything went fine. TV Guide with Eyetv seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...someone at Eyetv support sent me a link for the latest beta of Eyetv. Right after i trashed that beta and installed the latest public release everything went fine...
I'm glad you found something that worked for you! Is your version 3.6.9(7415)?

I wrote Geniatech twice last week, using the contact form on the support page, and haven't heard anything back from them.

Now that the last programmed record has completed, I went ahead and cleared the EPG database and re-ran autotune on the channel line-up, but still no luck. I'm still getting the same error - "update failed (could not connect to server)." It continues to show my TV Guide account as active until June 18, 2017.

This is getting frustrating!

I see farther up this thread that Tom the Piddler got a response from a sales email address - maybe I'll try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Yep. That's the one.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I guess what they say on their automated email response about getting back to you in 1 day isn't entirely accurate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apparently I can't edit my posts, so sorry for two posts so close together - but my previous one is now inaccurate - I just got an auto-reply. The only change I know of is that this last time I contacted them, instead of giving my main email address ([email protected]), I used my gmail address. Maybe their software didn't handle the more complex address correctly? Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that now I get some help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apparently I can't edit my posts, so sorry for two posts so close together - but my previous one is now inaccurate - I just got an auto-reply. The only change I know of is that this last time I contacted them, instead of giving my main email address ([email protected]), I used my gmail address. Maybe their software didn't handle the more complex address correctly? Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that now I get some help.
Just curious what brand/model of tv tuner are you using? I've got an ElGato Hybrid stick.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

I wrote Geniatech twice last week, using the contact form on the support page, and haven't heard anything back from them.

Now that the last programmed record has completed, I went ahead and cleared the EPG database and re-ran autotune on the channel line-up, but still no luck. I'm still getting the same error - "update failed (could not connect to server)." It continues to show my TV Guide account as active until June 18, 2017.

This is getting frustrating!

I see farther up this thread that Tom the Piddler got a response from a sales email address - maybe I'll try that.
Exact same problem I have.
Latest software loaded.
Re-registered account.
Cleared EPG.
Applied TVGuide subscription link. Now valid till 2017.
Could not reach server.......
Relying on PSIP for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
26 hours since I got my autoreply from Geniatech support and no actual human-written contact yet . . . still waiting.

Lenn5 - I also have the EyeTV Hybrid stick, on a 2007 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I'm next door to Boston so there are a ton of over-the-air stations to supplement Netflix - no need for cable. We got the whole setup soon after moving here, and it just keeps chugging along! This is the first hitch we've had. (Well, except for the logic board replacement early on that my credit card's warranty extension covered.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
26 hours since I got my autoreply from Geniatech support and no actual human-written contact yet . . . still waiting.

Lenn5 - I also have the EyeTV Hybrid stick, on a 2007 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I'm next door to Boston so there are a ton of over-the-air stations to supplement Netflix - no need for cable. We got the whole setup soon after moving here, and it just keeps chugging along! This is the first hitch we've had. (Well, except for the logic board replacement early on that my credit card's warranty extension covered.)
Nice setup. I've got the hybrid stick hooked up to my homemade coat hanger antenna in the attic. Is working great so far. I get all of the major OTA channels and a ton of spanish speaking channels which i don't care about. I have a 2yr old iMac 21.5" running everything.

This is my 2nd Hybrid stick. The last one died a few years ago. Am hoping this one last a while longer. When this one goes I will probably get 1 of those Silicon Dust Homerun boxes. It looks like they are the only game left in town for us Mac guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exactly the same here.
TVGuide expired.
Went to Elgato support->new owner website.
Went to shop.
Ordered TVGuide 1 Year Update-Payment Went Through, Received Link & Instructions.
Installed new Version & Updated Guide Subscription w/Link- OK.
No Updates. Clear EPG. No Guide Data Anymore.
Click Update -> Error Message "Could Not Connect To Server".
I looked at what happens on the network when I click "Update Now" and I see it making an HTTPS connection to "services.eyetv.com", which isn't very encouraging...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly the same here.

I looked at what happens on the network when I click "Update Now" and I see it making an HTTPS connection to "services.eyetv.com", which isn't very encouraging...
My subscription expired. I was having the same issues with the new TV Guide. I bought it from the Geniatech "Shop" and was able to get the activation key to work. My subscription was good through June 24, 2017. And then I kept getting the message "update failed (could not connect to server)". I was running OS 10.6.8 on a 2009 Mac Mini. I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!

Not sure if this will work for others, but it worked for me.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
.... I was running OS 10.6.8 on a 2009 Mac Mini. I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!
Sounds like that's the official line - I finally got a reply from tech support:
I suggest you to upgrade your Mac OS to 10.9 or higher. The System Requirements of EyeTV 3 is OS X 10.9 or later. Thank you for your understanding.
I'd actually looked on their website for system requirements and been unable to find them, so this is the first I'd heard of the 10.9 requirement. Unfortunately, this won't work for me, as our 2007 Mac Mini only supports through 10.7. Since we expect to soon move to the boonies with no OTA reception at all - and satellite isn't worth it for us, so we'll go all-streaming + mailed DVDs (!) - I'm not going to upgrade now, since everything else works fine. No point in upgrading before it's necessary. As long as I still have a browser that will handle Netflix, I'm good.

I replied to Geniatech asking about refund procedure, but it occurs to me - I've seen mention of the program guide database, but is it an actual file that can be accessed? Because if so I could run a copy of EyeTV on my personal computer (10.11) and update the program guide there. I'm investigating now.

Anne

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!

Not sure if this will work for others, but it worked for me.

Dave
Thanks, that's good to know. Geniatech's instructions don't mention it (but they're pretty much gibberish anyway: ``With regards to authorization server upgrade, we are apologize to claim, that you need to follow with below steps carefully - to activate your EPG - Subscription.'')

Kind of annoying as the mid-2007 mini mac I use on the TV won't run the new Mac OS. We shall see...

·
Registered
8 Posts
A quick follow-up to my post of an hour ago:

Geniatech got back to me very quickly with a link to request a refund.

But meanwhile, I installed EyeTV on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, connected my hybrid to scan channels, and the program guide updated just fine. So apparently the OS was, in fact, the only issue I was having.

I found a likely-looking file at /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/EyeTVEPG.db (that's the top-level, not user-level library) and transferred it to my Mac Mini, and my program guide is showing up in EyeTV on the Mini now.

So rather than request the refund, I'm thinking I might just set up an alarm to do a once-weekly update & transfer of that file from my MacBook to the Mini. A bit of a pain, but if it continues to work, I don't think it will be that bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a likely-looking file at /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/EyeTVEPG.db (that's the top-level, not user-level library) and transferred it to my Mac Mini, and my program guide is showing up in EyeTV on the Mini now.
Hey, that's a great idea! (Sure, kind of a kludge (as we used to say 100 years ago) but I like it a lot better than spending $500 on a new mini mac to protect my investment in a $20 TV Guide subscription.)

·
Registered
9 Posts

But meanwhile, I installed EyeTV on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, connected my hybrid to scan channels, and the program guide updated just fine. So apparently the OS was, in fact, the only issue I was having.

Glad you finally got things straightened out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Message from Geniatech

I received this response from Mike at Geniatech

Mike Decker /GENIATECH
AttachmentsMay 29 (2 days ago)

to GTE, me
Hi Dave,

For older Mac`s with older OSX – we develop a fix and release new build, please see attached you must perform both necessary steps. Main reason why it has not updating are security reason as older Mac/ OSX can not verify / recognize correct our server certificate automatically (newer OSX version does this correct and auto).

Please let us know – if this has worked out for your older mac.

Kind regards
Mike

***The instructions are attached--Let me know if you attachment did not come through--Note that I tried posting Mike Decker's email but the moderator would not let me since I have fewer than 5 posts (this is my first).

As mentioned before I updated my 2009 Mac Mini to the latest OS (El Capitan) and and the TV Guide updates just fine.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just heard from Geniatech again, and came here to post about it, but see that Dave-in-MT has beaten me to it!

I just downloaded the new build of 3.6.9 (7416) and my program guide is finally updating successfully on my Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

This new build is now the one available at the link given in their "How to extend your EPG subscription successfully" article:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/how-to-extend-your-epg-subscription-successfully/

(Dave got a fuller explanation than I did from Geniatech - they just told me there was a known issue with 7415 & download 7416.)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I just heard from Geniatech again, and came here to post about it, but see that Dave-in-MT has beaten me to it!

I just downloaded the new build of 3.6.9 (7416) and my program guide is finally updating successfully on my Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

This new build is now the one available at the link given in their "How to extend your EPG subscription successfully" article:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/how-to-extend-your-epg-subscription-successfully/

(Dave got a fuller explanation than I did from Geniatech - they just told me there was a known issue with 7415 & download 7416.)
Great-thank you. Downloaded 3.6.9-7416 and installed on 10.6.8 and the TVGuide is updating and populating the grid!
No more PSIP reliance! Great job.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts