AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I must admit, after another weekend of sub testing, both in and outdoors, I have had it with houses. I find it simply incredible what bass does to homes, after extensively treating a place with felt stickers and moving furinture so there are no more discernable rattles and continuing to find them in untreatable places, I am forced to conclude that the only way to get halfway decent bass response is with a completely redesigned, ground up approach to an HT room. After the anguish of all this (going from place to place, trying out different placements, ect) and still not getting halfway acceptable results, I feel like just going outside to enjoy my speakers. The problem? Theres rattles and noises outside as well!

Heres some of the issues I discovered

1. Definetely the biggest problem, the fireplace. If you have a fireplace with a chimney open to the outside, get ready for the mother of all chirping and chuffing, they try to equalize the pressure between inside and outside and in doing so, will create a huge headache. After stuffing the downstairs one, I had to deal with one UPSTAIRS, it was simply incredible that I could hear it as well.

2. Windows: Definitely the second biggest problem, the rattle and tremor with room modes, different passages affect them differently, sine sweeps relay the problem frequencies, the only way I can think of to fix this, outside of trying felt at various problem spots is bass traps, and thats not even a guaranteed fix. Good luck with these, I don't know what to tell you.

3. Light fixtures. Yup, they rattle vicously as well, especially can lights in recessed lighting, they LOVE to rattle. Fixing these may be as easy as tightening things down or repositing them, to as hard as replacing the fixture entirely or taking them down, treating them, then re-attaching them. No guarantees here either, treating stuff is a pain.

4. Shelving, bookcases: The best fix for these is removing them
aside from that, trying to secure them helps, but they will still want to rattle.

Anything else not ultimately bolted down, I have even seen furniture rattle from within, that is particularly annoying. After this, the real problems start to set in! Sheet rock rattling, (it happens even at moderate spl's) and things in various other rooms of the house rattling that can't be treated. It seems that the only way to get a decent HT would be use double walls with special sheet rock, special light fixtures, special everything, it all wants to shake! The annoying thing is that you can have the best sounding sub(s) in the world and get awful sound from your room. Treating your room for bass is every bit as important if not moreso than treating it for your speakers (first reflections ect)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Hey Army,

Dedicated rooms are the way to go.Windows blocked out with 5/8"OSB and painted gray.Recessed lighting, no book shelves (reading puts me to sleep).Sealed up with no pressure problems.

One thing I do hate....I have a first floor HT...I need to brace the center of the floor, it's like a floor tom in a drum kit.It does add some cool special effects moving the way it does, but it muddies up the water a bit.

Good luck KG

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Yes treating my room now for my big speakers. makes all the difference in the world.

Nate

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Can't wait till the day I build a house that includes a HT room, designed from the ground up for minimal vibration, resonance issues, etc.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr /forum/post/14167691

http://www.silohome.com/

We've got a couple missle silo's around here. One isn't too far off the highway and is fenced in. (Still owned by govt. I believe). The other, which I haven't seen yet, is filled with water last I heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I got my first sub (an M&K MX350), I literally had to tear apart a window (a normal slide up window) and remove the helper springs because they made such a racket. My wife looking horrified the whole time. Then I used about a whole tube of clear caulk on all the light fixtures. The AC intake got sprayed with a whole can of rubberized truck bed liner (that didn't stink up the whole house at all).

Now I have a Tz-25 powered by an EP2500, I literally had to do everything all over again and the biggest resonance culpret left is my DLP TV. I don't think I'm ready to tear that apart, I just bought it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yea... and we sit around arguing about a couple percent distortion at 20Hz.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I built my room with overkill in mind.

Room size is 14' wide by 26'deepby 7'high. Basement. Low ceilings suck.

I put 2 layers of safe and sound in the walls and ceiling. 40 bags.

I used 30+cans of spray foam, and even went so far as to spray foam electrical wires to studs so they dont rattle. Every single place there is a joint is stuffed, foamed or caulked. 40 tubes of caulking. I removed any unnecessary screws in receptacles and other fixtures, built bass traps in all 4 corners of the room, floor to ceiling.

The only problem I have right now are that since my media doors aren't finished they rattle like hell. But soon they will be done.

Running 2 18" mach5ixl's sealed in the room.

bass traps in the front where the tv and front speakers go.

many layers of s&s on ceiling and walls.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i really can't wait to get into a house of my own (taking care of my grandmother and her house presently) and purpose build a room. all four walls and the floor will be concrete. not sure about the ceiling but it will have its treatment as well.

right now ive got the master bedroom. its 10' x 16' and built relatively cheap in 1977. one of the 16' walls is the window side toward the neighbors. one day i cranked War of the Worlds and i could actually see the center brace of the window frame moving about a quarter of an inch while the tripod emerged. the neighbors b***h and moan so i'm limited usually to when nobody is home in either house. i had to put screws through the shelves in every adjacent closet because they were walking out from under the objects resting on them. all of the hollow-core doors now have a layer of weatherstripping in the jamb to quiet the rattling and keep pressure on the doorknob latches so they rattle less. when the door is open, the hallway acts like a massive resonating port and its actually louder in the other end of the house at certain frequencies and levels. doors that are normally open tend to drift nearly shut. one of the coolest things is how the cabinets in the kitchen that are exactly the distance of a 23Hz wavelength (what my horns are built at 1/4 of) open up and things fall out.

not to mention that it scares the crap out of the cat. he jumps up on the couch and looks at the floor like its going to attack him.

i was discussing this with a carpenter friend, and he said we could build the room so that its not solid, with walls in tracks (rather than attached to each other) and foam on the back and where it meets the tracks absorbing the rattles. i suggested MDF walls with a layer of 3/4" and a layer of 5/8" all glued and nailed solid. we we're just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll admit, the biggest point of this thread was to draw out some of our acoustics gurus like John J and Mark Seaton. John sometimes drops and gives you a whole dumptruck load of info and Seaton, well he loves to sprinkle his crumbs around.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey army. Think of it this way. If it's not important and will probably never move. Nail it, glue it, screw it down. lol lol

Mike

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I'll admit, the biggest point of this thread was to draw out some of our acoustics gurus like John J and Mark Seaton. John sometimes drops and gives you a whole dumptruck load of info and Seaton, well he loves to sprinkle his crumbs around.

lol, thats a funny line well he loves to sprinkle his crumbs around

I too wait for him to post

Have you posted these thoughts in the Home Theater Construction forum. Lots of Acoustical treatment pros/gurus there!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts