Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've read every post on the "Elite 45TX Shutdown Test UPDATE" thread, and decided to ask my question using a new one, since it is slightly off-topic.

I bought the 43TX about 5 weeks ago, replacing my old Denon AVR-2000, knowing that the Elites are not very happy with 4ohm loads (yes, I did my home work). I have the M&K 750THX L/C/R (with a DIY sub still in pieces, so no sub yet!).

The only reason I got the 43TX rather than the 45TX is that there was a computer (or stupid sales rep) error at the store that I planned to get it from, and the 45TX that was "reserved" for me didn't exist. So I was faced with either waiting 2-3 weeks for a 45TX, or taking the 43TX that they had in stock. Not wanting to wait, I took the 43TX. However, I have 4 months to decide if I want to upgrade!!

The reason I had no problem with getting the Elite and using it with a 4ohm load is that I had intended to add a separate amp to run the fronts at a later time. Besides, I have no worries (perhaps stupidly) of running an amp at lower ohm loads, so long as there is adequate cooling to avoid thermal shut-down.

After my first night of movie watching, I noticed that the 43TX was quite a bit hotter than I'd like it to be (granted I only have about 2 inches of air space above it in my entertainment center). The very next day, out came the hole saw. I cut a hole the size of a CD exactly over the area of the main heatsinks of the 43TX. I then mounted a used 120mm computer fan to exhaust the heat. I finished it off with a computer filter to avoid allowing dust to settle on my new baby. I have the fan powered by a variable voltage tranformer (which allows me to adjust fan speed) plugged into the switched outlet of the 43TX.

Since installing the fan, I can barely feel any warmth on or near the 43TX, even after extended viewing at moderate volumes! Now, I have to say that I have yet to test any max volumes because we have a 13 month old, and there is rarely a time that I'm home, and the wife and son are not!

My only gripe about buying the 43TX is that I don't have the auto-MCAA. I've followed the manual instructions to the letter for the manual-MCAA, and it sounds great. The only problem is that I don't know how much better (if at all) it would be with the auto. As for any arguments of a better remote, I'm using a Pronto, so that doesn't really apply to my situation.

Also, I remember reading that the 5-band EQ is not available in the 43TX. Is this true? I can't remember as I have not been able to play with my 43TX settings since initial installation. That alone may be cause to upgrade.

Also, I read that the amp section is significantly better in the 45TX over the 43TX (according to a Pioneer service rep, but I usually don't believe them anyway). Has anyone done a visual comparison of the internals of both?

OK, so here are my options:

1) Keep the 43TX and add a separate amp within the next few months (burned the price difference that I saved on a DIY sub)

2) Return the 43TX for a 45TX, and add a separate amp within the next 6 months

3) Return the 43TX for the 47TX at the end of the 4 month time period for upgrades (or step up slowly; from 43 to 45 to 47)

4) Return the 43TX for a non-Pioneer, 4ohm stable product (thus I wouldn't need an external amp for those infrequent loud listening levels)

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your opinions,

Antony

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What are the price differences between the 43TX vs 45TX vs 47TX from your dealer?

I believe the amps in the 43TX and 45TX are identical. The power specs are the same, the descriptions are the same, the receiver weights are the same.

I think you really need to find an opportunity to push the 43TX to loud levels and see what happens with your speakers. Like watch an entire 2 hour movie. If it doesn't shut down, then you may not even need extra external amps. Of course, if it gets real hot, then you might eventually face premature failure due to long-term overheating factors.

To test how it might perform with a 2-channel external amp, then run it for a couple more hours with the front left & right speakers disconnected. To your 43TX, that's the same as when an external amp is used. See how it does then. Try it with or without the fan.

You are in a position to gather some interesting data. Go for it.

Tom B.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I believe that the 45TX is roughly $200 more. The (authorized) retailer I bought from actually price-matched to a local on-line (unauthorized) seller! So I'm looking at a $200 jump for the auto-MCAA. Not too sure how much more the 47TX is.

I will be testing the 43TX to see if they can handle the M&K's properly. If my theory is correct, with the "super" cooling of my 120mm fan, it should be just fine. But then again, you never know. I should have something interesting to post within the week (need wife clearance).

I guess my main question is whether or not the auto-MCAA is worth the extra money (and effort of reinstallation)?

I do have until mid-February to decide.

What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.