AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if speaker size is bypassed in direct mode? (digital input) If not, this might explain why the 45 had more bottom end in a recent A/B. (45 set to large, 47 to small?) Both in direct mode, digital input.

thx

bob

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My understanding is that the crossover for bass management is active with direct, however, it bypasses all tone controls like MCACC.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
nt

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ahhhh... THAT's the trick for Bob's mystery!!!

The bass management (and the sub) will still be engaged in the Direct mode, although all other EQ/tone controls will be bypassed. I initially thought that the Direct will also bypass the bass management (and the manual is very vague about this :( ), but have found out it won't.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You are correct sushi, the BM is active in the direct mode. I just did a check with an analog connection. Hmm, re-digitizing an input doesn't seem very direct, IMHO. Though I suspect the "direct" really means no EQ, no power to video, no tone controls. Not quite as direct as I'd like, but I prefer the stereo setting anyway. :D

Sorny

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Andrew, not only the low-pass crossover for the sub, but the high-pass crossovers for the "small" front L/R are clearly engaged in the Direct mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.