AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noticeable "hum" coming from my 510 during "quiet passages". I have isolated to the 510 - it hums (like a "transformer hum" when all other components are off. Do not use the 510 speakers - all audio thru Elite 26 receiver.

Is this a wiring problem or something endemic to the Elites. Set is still under warranty (just over 1 yr old) & was ISF calibrated 10 weeks ago.

Not noticeable when there is any significant audio coming from the speakers (Def Tech).

Anyone else have this problem - all suggestions or solutions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

·
Banned
410 Posts
Pardon me for being obvious, but did you check the quality of your audio cables? Also, make sure they are not running parallel with any power cables.

I had a similar problem and noticed it was just a simple case of the audio cables running parallel with a power cable. I separated them from the power cable and the hum was gone.

This is especially suspicious if the volume of the hum doesn't change with a change in audio volume (if you are not using a fixed output level from the TV). If you are using a fixed output level then my last statement doesn't apply.

You might want to swap cables with another component in your and verify it is still coming from your TV. That would eliminate the cables themselves as the cause.

Perhaps, you did all of this, but I thought I would say it just in case http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Rick

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 710 is silent, it could very well be something as simple a cable. Just a suggestion though..., if there is indeed something wrong with your set and you have a warrenty issue, you might not want to mention to Pioneer that you had it ISF calibrated. This might void your warrenty. Good luck....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - Please note that there are no audio cables connected to the 510. Hum is present when no signals are being sent to any input and 510 speaker volume is set to 0.

Only connections to 510 are s-video to input 1, component from DVD to input 2, and RGB from DTC 100 to input 3.

Looks like a service call is in order.

Any other comments welcome.

Thanks - Bruce

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try the various stretch modes---do you hear the hum during only certain modes, say Full or Zoom? Let us know.

Zephyr

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 510 driving a Sony ES333 with no hum problem.

Just for grins, you might want to check the polarity of your wall outlet (110 Volt one) and the continuity of the ground (green wire). A reversal of the white and black there or an open green wire (ground) might cause hum problems.

Good luck and have a great HDTV day,

------------------

Fred

·
Registered
604 Posts
My 510 is silent insofar as hum. All of the above suggestions are solid. Ground loops are annoying and can be eliminated by being systematic. Start at ground zero as suggested (above) with NOTHING connected.

If the hum persists with nothing connected, and you have perhaps run an extension to another branch AC circuit, something as lame as a cold solder joint can cause it.

Good luck.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Do you have a cable connection to the set (or the DTC100)? If you do, and if the cable is improperly grounded, hum may result (this is a notorious source of hum). Disconnet one set of connections at a time until the hum is stopped. If you have everthing disconnected and it still hums then the set has a problem and needs to be fixed. If it's not humming with anything connected then something else may be causing the problem. The AC plug polarity check mentioned above is a good thing to check.

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the valuable feedback. I will check the outlet and will remove all cables to see if that eliminates the problem. Do not have any "RF" input into the 510 - only connections are s-vid into input 1, component into input 2,& VGA into input 3. No audio connections at all. Problem is present when all other components are off and no signal is being fed to the 510. Do not believe it is coming from the 510 speakers but hard to tell. The hum does not change volume.

Thanks again - Bruce

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 510 and experience no hum at all, whether when the 510 alone is on or in conjunction with other equipment. I would suggest calling customer service. There should be no hum at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike - that is exactly what mine sounds like - the hum from flouresent lights - knew I had heard that sound before but couldn't place it.

Dave - Sound is definitly from the 510 & not from audio speakers (Def Tech 200's.

Bruce

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bruce/Mike...

Did you guys ever figure out what was causing the hum ? Did you get a Pioneer service tech involved ? How was the issue fixed if at all ?

I have a 510 and I'm experiencing a slight hum under certain conditions. I believe the hum comes from the blue CRT being driven beyond it's capacity. I had Pioneer service tech look at the set but they just made matters a lot worse. I'd really like to know how you guys fixed this annoying issue.

MarcW

·
Registered
39 Posts
It could be related to having the contrast set to high. I noticed on my 710 while playing with AVIA that if I ran the contrast up a little to high I would get a hum during bright scenes. When I set the contrast lower (where it should be) there was no hum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.