AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Pioneer Elite 510HD will be arriving tomorrow (good riddance Sampo 34" POS) and I'm wondering which is the optimal connection for my TU-HDS20, RGB or YPbPr. Seems both lock into full mode, but RGB is limited to 1080i signals only. However, others noted RBG elimintates the red push problem, but locks out color/tint and other video controls, leaving you at the mercy of the broadcaster. YPbPr, on the other hand, would allow me to use either 480i, 480p, or 1080i, and I'm assuming that in 480i I could utilize the Zoom mode to view NTSC letterbox or 16:9 formatted programs full screen, which can't be done with 480P or 1080i sources. Anyone know if there is a viewable difference? Also, where would I find a good quality DB15 to (5) RCA cable?

Any help/comments appreciated.

·
Registered
830 Posts
When using RGB mode, although the color and tint controls are locked, you can still change the color balance by selecting the (B&W, Film, STD, News) modes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 510 with the Panny and use the component video (PrPbY) setup. It is excellent on the colors. I have it set on Hybrid video out mode, I have noted that upconverting 480i to 480p is generally better for a sharp picture than upconverting to 1080i, as the latter magnifies any noise in the picture coloration.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metamatt - Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I tried doing the 480P vs. 1080i comparo thing using my existing 34" HD set, but just not enough resolution to really tell a difference. So it seems there's really no significant advantage to using the RGB here, given the restrictions it imposes. YPbPr it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.