AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
base on the selection mentioned in the subject which is a better receiver for paradigm monitor series speakers? performance base on sound clarity.

i have use pioneer and h/k before, but i don't have experience in denon.

i don't have problem with pio or h/k. music and dvd usage at 50% each.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Based on the problems I'm having with my brand new Marantz equipment, I started looking for a replacement. I looked into Elite 55 and DVD both with iLink but .... NO VIDEO UPCONVERSION! :( Except that, it looks and sounds great to me.

That shot it down for me ... I got 3 sources and only one component cable running to the PJ (I know, stupid me).

I wish there was more options ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm interested in the Pioneer Elites as well, but how do you live without component video in's/out's? While I have no video passing on my old Yamaha receiver, it seems like centralized video distribution would really be of service on whatever receiver I decide to buy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
??

Elites have 2 components OUT and one IN. I was talking about video upconversion from s-video or composite TO component.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ahh, you're right. I had seen descriptions of the 53's, 55's and such on a couple of other sites and they all described these as having 1 component in + 1 component out. I just checked the Pioneer site and see they have two. Still, at these level of quality I would expect 3.

Then again, I would have expected video upconversion as well.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
No Video Upconversion is a joke, that was the same problem they had with the older models ( like the 45tx which i own).

They should have fixed that for their customers...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Why would you use a receiver to video upconvert? Unless the receiver has a decent scaler (e.g. faroudja like rx-z9 or HK7300) you are doing your video a great disservice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well maybe because some people (like me) only run the component cable to the PJ and have 3 sources (DVD, DSS, XBOX) and only 2 component outputs in the AVR. Unless there is some other way around it, I just read that the video is only being upconverted to 480i (duuh) and I'm basicaly s***d as the 3 component will not display via component input on my Infocus X1. Either I find some AVR that will take 3 components, upconvert to 480p or I need to get a different PJ.

Ehh ..

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a convenience thing DooDoo. Your point is correct, but many find the task of having to switch inputs on their TV (i.e. 'Video RCA 1' for Cable to 'Component 1' for DVD) too much trouble.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Arent you sacrificing picture quality, especially in the case of a pj, by using a less than ideal deinterlacer that would be found in most receivers? Also, dont good remotes handle the switching inputs problem?

·
Registered
157 Posts
A good remote can handle the Monitor input switch only if it has macro capability. Otherwise you are still pressing one button to switch the receiver input and another to switch the TV input so that it accepts the video output from the receiver. (Really not a big deal in my opinion, but then again I don't have video upconversion on my 45tx and felt the same way about my self-dimming rear view mirror on my car but now that I have it I would want it again...although a manual mirror would never be a deal breaker on a future automobile, just a request.)

As for PQ; the receiver should simply be a pass though (with exception to the two deinterlacer recievers above.) In that use the video source OR the TV would handle the deinterlace or tuning. That said, I have not heard of a reciever with upconversion capability that has pleased 100% of it's customers in that 'pass-through only' capacity. Some people can't notice a video degration and some people claim to see it. Others even notice flat out video artifacts and colorization with using certain receivers with upconversion to component video. (i.e. Denon's 3803 or the new Yamahas, as noted in threads on this board.)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If your going with Paradigm speakers you shouldn't discount the Yamaha RX-V2400 that is at the same price point as the HK 525, Elite 53tx and Denon 3803.

The RX-V2400 offers the following features:

1) OSD through component video (also on Denon 3803)

2) HD component swithcing (60 Mhz) (Only Denon 3803 is higher at 100)

3) Component Video upconversion (also on Denon 3803)

4) YPAO (Auto Setup and Room equalization)

5) Adjustable 9 step crossover (40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160,200)

6) DPLIIx (not offered on any of the above)

7) Yamaha proprietary DSP modes (at least a few are excellent)

8) THX Select Certification and Post Processing (also on Elite 53tx)

9) Rated for 4 ohm loads

10) Zone 2 video and audio and Zone 3 audio

11) 8 digital inputs (5 optical and 3 coaxial) most of any of these units

12) DTS 96/24 (not on HK 525)

Yamaha and Paradigm are known to be a very good match.

There's an interesting review at audioholics.com if your interested.

One more thing, you didn't state what your listening tastes are. If you primarily listen to 2 channel stereo CDs I would seriously look at the HK 525 as it really excels in 2 channel stereo. If your main focus is HT I don't think any of these units matches the Yamaha in either Sound Quality for Decoding.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sorry my mistake you stated your listening consists of 50/50 music and HT, that makes the decision more difficult as personally I think the HK is best at music followed by the Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon. Whereas I think the Yamaha is best at HT followed by the Denon, Pioneer and HK.

Personally I had looked at the Pioneer 53tx, HK 525, Denon 3803 and Yamaha RX-V2400 when I was shopping for a receiver and decided on the RX-V2400 as I listen to 90% HT and 10% music and video games.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EVT: thanks alot. i'll put yammi rx2400 on my demo list.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most reviews place the Pioneer Elites above both Denon and HK for HT use. In fact some magazines claim P.E.s to be the benchmark for Home Theater. So for HT I would say Yamaha and Elite. For Music HK and Elite. I don't like the 3803 so I wouldn't place that anywhere, but it's all personal preference.

But HK is getting a much better sound for HT recently too and they have L7. Nicer than PLII in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.