AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this receiver and ML speakers or similar hard to drive four ohm speakers? I have heard good things about the receiver but unable to hear it at showroom with Aerius/Scenario speakers. Taking it home is a possibility but I rather get some input from board members before I undertake the laborious process of changing out one receiver for another.;) Am most curious regarding ability to drive speakers and sound quality.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The VSX-55TXi does ok with most 4 ohm loads. A separate amp will usually do much better. I do not have ML speakers; I have Klipsch. The last time I opined that receivers do not run MLs the best, the ML owners said that the smaller ML speakers are ok with good receivers.

My own experience with speakers rated at 102 db/1w/1m tells me that dynamic headroom is needed with any speaker that will play dynamic material.

Bill

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This has been asked in some other post (using Pioneer Elite with 4 ohms speakers). The Pioneer Elites are rated at 6 ohms and of course can drive speakers 8 ohms fine. But they were not meant to drive 4 ohm speakers, it does not mean they cannot drive it, they can but the receiver will work harder and may clip at high dynamic. You have to know whether 4 ohms is the nominal or minimal impedance and if it is the nominal impedance you then need to know it it is easy to drive. I think in the case of ML's a separate amplifier would be better and you can hook the 55TXi with a separate amplifier as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.