AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between the Elite PRO720, the Sony KDP65XBR2 and the Mitsu WS-65311. Does anyone know any pro's and cons on these? or any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am a little confused at the models you are considering, in that they are in different classes. The Mitsubishi current diamond is a 711 and the past was a 909, so I don't know what a 311 is, but it isn't what you would compare to an Elite 720. All Sony HD TV's are way high priced and terrible in picture, so that is the most baffling of all, but I do know the Diamond and Elite. The Diamond will save you money and give you better detail than the Elite, but the Elite is softer on the eye's. The Diamond has firewire and an internal decoder and an anti glare screen while the Elite does not. This may or may not matter in the future, except for the screen which is fused on the Elite, so you can't upgrade it. I had a Diamond 909 in my house and found out some very interesting flaws tthat the salesman never tell you and here they are:

1) You can't do a PIP split on either the Mitsubishi or the Elite with either of them playing a digital signal, so no good sports with 2 pictures.

2) Analog material like Digital cable or sattelite when not on a premium movie channel looks very , very grainy and very stretched. My connections are great and so is my signal, it is the way the Mitsubishi processes non digital signals.

The Mitsubishi Diamond did have a flawless HD picture, and I mean flawless and they are dealing huge on the 909 model, like 3800 for the 65, and I understand the new 711 has the same flaws I listed as the 909

The Pioneer does a little better on analog, but didn't look as truly awesome in HD. It was clear and soft, but it didn't just make you go wow!!!

I ultimately bought the Hitachi XWX 65 and it looks great in analog, great on all normal signals , will do a split picture side by side dual HD set up, but in the 65 the HD picture is not as breath taking as the Mitsubishi. Keeep in mind I had them both at the same time and the picture difference was emperically superior in HD on the Mitusibishi, but at serious other costs as listed.

I believe this occurs because Hitachi has never made a 65 inch before, always 61's and they used the same number of lens elements in the 57 and 65 and you can see at the store if they have both that it just doesn't quite cover 65 as well. It does get better afterabout 150 hours of use, but will never match that diamond in HD in that size.

If you consider Hitachi, and you should way before you do that cruddy Sony, if you want truly great HD, than consider the 57, but the 65 was all I would consider as I really like the big picture look. The Mitsubishi uses a 7 element lense on their 65 inch and I think that is why it is better at that size than Hitachi's 5 element Wide neck hibrid. In the end, I watch alot of sports and no matter how good the Diamond HD picture, all analog was worse than any TV since the 70's and that is stil most of the programming.

I am not trying to be mean about the Sony, but they have yet to make their first mid level Big screen and price as if they are the best, when they are closer to the bottom than the top and should be priced accordingly.

I hope that helps and you are lucky that I just went through having an Elite , a Mitsubishi and a Hitachi all in my house and it was 2 months of dealing with this and looking back, the Hitachi was he best for me overall, but they should have accounted for the 65 inch with more lense elements and their president and I have already shared 2 emails about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys. the reason i picked these three is because these are what my local stores have. i'm sorta reluctant to buy online. if anyone knows a reliable seller please let me know because there are other sets i'm definitely interested in but aren't sold in stores by me.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
yes...

what is the price range?

Lower tier I would compare

Hitachi UWX

Sony WS500 and WV600

Mits 311/411

Any toshiba or Panny or RCA, JVC...

Middle tier:

Mits 511

Hitachi SWX

Sony WV700

Upper Tier

Sony XBR (new and old)

Hitachi SWX

Hitachi XWX

Mits 611/711 platinum plus or Diamond

Pioneer Elite X30's

That's how I see things....

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Sony 57". I've seen most of the others and I don't see much difference watching HDTV on any of them. They are all great. I also don't think my Sony is cruddy. That is just someone else's opinion. The best thing to do is try to check out some of these sets in person because in the end it's your opinion that counts.

The Elites are nice but even more overpriced than the Sonys. I got a good deal on my set. If you can do that it makes the decision even easier. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.