AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 120" Elite projector screen that is Matte white with 1.0 gain.

I've got a light controller room, but I have glossy wood paneling walls and white ceiling tiles that I believe reflect a lot of light back on the screen.

I was wondering it would be possible to paint it Gray with the High Contrast Screen Goo from Goo Systems?

I don't know if the surface would allow for paint to be applied over it. Anyone ever tried it?

Goo paint is kinda expensive, or there any cheaper alternatives out there. I only paid $160 for the screen and the paint would cost $210. That's more than what I paid for the screen.

Are there any 120" diag screens that come default in a High Contrast Gray that would be around $210?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney /forum/post/20885729

I've got a 120" Elite projector screen that is Matte white with 1.0 gain.

I've got a light controller room, but I have glossy wood paneling walls and white ceiling tiles that I believe reflect a lot of light back on the screen.

I was wondering it would be possible to paint it Gray with the High Contrast Screen Goo from Goo Systems?

Possible? Yes. Sensible? No.

Quote:
I don't know if the surface would allow for paint to be applied over it. Anyone ever tried it?

Absewlootlee. Correct procedure and methods must be followed, but excellent results can be had.

Quote:
Goo paint is kinda expensive, are there any cheaper alternatives out there.

Absewlootlee. GOO was eclipsed some time ago by several DIY applications, in both ease of application, performance, and cost effectiveness. Consider yourself fortunate you asked first before spending.

Quote:
I only paid $160 for the screen and the paint would cost $210. That's more than what I paid for the screen.

Hmmmmm....seems your getting the picture to come in more clearly as you go on thinking about it more and more............even if you bought the expensive paint, you still have to effectively apply is....correctly.....perfectly...and affordably. Be certain there are several DIY applications, from basic to advanced, that can get you to your goal. And even the most expensive, when combined with a electric HVLP Spray Gun, will come in well under the cost of that dastardly GOO business.

Quote:
Are there any 120" diag screens that come default in a High Contrast Gray that would be around $210?

That's a pipe dream, my good fellow. Such Mfg Screen surfaces are considered "premium" surfaces that people in need must consider, and so being, the Mfgs are not about to let you off the hook by offering them at a bargain.

Your 120" Elite is essentially a ready and willing canvass awaiting the chance to become a masterpiece.

You don't mention it here, but I know you've been looking at a Epson 8350 as a potential choice. Did you bite on that hook? If so, a basic neutral Gray color such as either a lighter Gray (SW 7071 Gray Screen) or a darker Gray ( SW 7066 Gray Matters) derived from using a good quality paint such as Sherwin-Williams Duration Satin Extra White "Base", spray applied with this little gem:
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

.........will cost you a total of $85.00 Go for an "advanced DIY formula? That ups the total to about $175.00. Still way less than the "other stuff" and your essentially already 90% home free.

(The Paint names listed above are specific Sherwin William colors)

Add the necessary extras like Tape, Plastic, Paint strainers, and beer, and you be up to $130.00 tops.

Of course you'll need instructions on how to do it right the first time...so if you decide to "go there", help is awaiting your beckoning gesture.

Just use the right gesture....ok?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time and answering. In the other forum section you were recommended as the resident expert in DIY screen painting.

I'm considering spending a little more and getting the Epson 8700, but at the advice of everyone on the forums I'm waiting until the Expo to see if anything new is announced. Contrast ratio is pretty important to me and I've rented the 8350 for a few days from Best Buy and the blacks were pretty gray in total black scenes. It was totally out of the box settings however.

I heard the 87000 has better contrast, but I feel my room is reflecting a lot of light. If you look at the link before, I've got some crappy phone camera pictures of my projector room. It's fake wood paneling that has a bit of gloss on it, plus white ceiling & carpet. The fake that the room isn't that wide with a 120" screen probably means a lot of light is getting bounced back on the screen I would guess.

That's why I'm thinking maybe a gray screen would help more. I only really care about total darkness viewing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jakecou...eat=directlink

So I'm in for about $160 on the screen so far, which I don't really think is very much at all. I'd be willing to try and paint the screen gray if you think it would help in my situation.

Is there anything I can do to the room besides painting the walls and ceiling black?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney /forum/post/20887647

Thanks for taking the time and answering. In the other forum section you were recommended as the resident expert in DIY screen painting.

Well that's nice of 'em to say so...but I got to where I am today on the backs of other members, some of which that are still active. Due credit must be given to them as well, as DIY Screen making has been, and always will be a collaborate effort among many.

Quote:
I'm considering spending a little more and getting the Epson 8700, but at the advice of everyone on the forums I'm waiting until the Expo to see if anything new is announced.

Well they often say that, but past history has shown that if one waits for anything "new' that gets previewed at CEDIA to be actually released, the actual time waiting for such can extend well into the next year. Few Mfgs have ready inventory just sitting in stasis waiting to be released until the day after CEDIA closes.

I'll be there for certain, pumping every single Mfg Rep of any worthy new PJ application for the real "truth"...yet I'm also certain I'll get a lot of smoke blown up the 'ol Poop Chute.
It's like this....if you (a PJ Mfg) have something new coming to market...sometime soon but with no real certainty of a release date, and you want to have people wait for it, you usually will resort to making promises that you really have no intention of being able to keep. It's essentially an accepted Industry standard.

Yet on the Forum, there are many who are always hedging....always worrying that they will spend first...then have Buyer's remorse.

Let's take the much touted Epson PJs shown at last year's CEDIA...units that sported 1,000,000:1 Dynamic contrast. Wow.....gotta wait for those! ......and wait......and wait..........and wait.....and what? They were supposed to be released last November. It's now CEDIA again...and the latest release date is the end of September. This September? Who knows?

The moral? Do your research....base a buying decision on known performance attributes currently available, optimize the choice you make by mating it with an effective choice of Screen surface, and then try your best to match those choices up to whatever your room's issues bring into the equation.

Products that are as of yet unreleased are merely "Pie in the Sky" until you can actually order them for "IMMEDIATE" delivery. Even the AVS Store has taken "pre-orders" for PJs and then left members waiting for "months" for delivery. Whats worse.....buying something that is "State of the Art" now and enjoying it now....or waiting some interminably longer spell for that piece of Pie that might just never show on your plate?

Myself.....I like my Pie when I'm hungry.

Quote:
Contrast ratio is pretty important to me and I've rented the 8350 for a few days from Best Buy and the blacks were pretty gray in total black scenes. It was totally out of the box settings however.

In actuality, the 8350 can looks splendidly better when shooting onto a high contrast Gray surface....immeasurably so than onto a Matte White. One option would be to paint the Screen first....re-test the 8350, and see if you can save the considerable difference in price between the 8350 & 8700. Any shade of Gray the 8350 can handle will be just as applicable for the 8700.

Quote:
I heard the 8700 has better contrast, but I feel my room is reflecting a lot of light.
It absolutely has significantly better Black levels. 200,000:1 vs 50,000:1 is a wide margin. Not only that, but in every circumstance, that higher level of dynamic contrast combined with the better Lens & Iris sytem (...than the ones the 8350 has...) allows the 8700's 1600 lumens to show a brighter, more dynamic image...light or dark...than the 8350's 2000 lumens does.. It's a very noticeable difference, that once again can be made even "Mo Bedder" by shooting onto a reflective higher gain - high contrast Gray surface.

Essentially, what with the recent price drop and free extra bulb Voucher, I've stopped using the 8350 in favor of the 8700 in almost every instance.

..........and I did so love what the 8350 could do on the screens I make. It's just that now, I'm even deeper in love with what the 8700 can do for the money.

But....when I can get on o-dose new Uber-contrast Epsons I'll be a-switchin' to 'em every chance I can get....you can be certain of that!

I just won't be tellin' anybody to wait for 'em though....

Quote:
If you look at the link before, I've got some crappy phone camera pictures of my projector room. It's fake wood paneling that has a bit of gloss on it, plus white ceiling & carpet. The fact that the room isn't that wide with a 120" screen probably means a lot of light is getting bounced back on the screen I would guess.

You can be certain of that as being a fact....not supposition.

Quote:
That's why I'm thinking maybe a gray screen would help more. I only really care about total darkness viewing.

Until we can see affordable PJs with those 1 Mil :1 Contrast specs hit the market, virtually any projector, and room that is not "cave-like", can and will benefit from the use of a good high Gain / High Contrast Gray Screen

Quote:
So I'm in for about $160 on the screen so far, which I don't really think is very much at all. I'd be willing to try and paint the screen gray if you think it would help in my situation.

It's not....I do....you should...and if you do you will be very glad you did.

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to the room besides painting the walls and ceiling black?

Black is ugly. There are many applicable colors to choose from that all have Contrast enhancing attributes. Blues...Grays...Greens...even Browns (...not among my favorite though...) all can fit the bill as long as they are of a "Flat" or no more than a Satin Finish. I have dome many rooms where the ceiling is a 4x darker shade of the same Color the Walls are. The blending/matching of such is very attractive.

So there you have some more "Pie" to feast on. Wipe your chin and let's get something started!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm convinced that I would benefit from painting this screen gray. I'm a complete novice when it comes to painting other than a few model cars when I was younger with paint cans.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 8700 or the newly announced 5010 if they release anytime soon.

I don't have gear to paint so I'd assume that is where I'd start.

I see the paint gun that I can purchase that is fairly cheap in another one of your threads.

How do I go about picking up the paints that I will need? Some list available somewhere?

It probably won't be months until I finally purchase a projector, but I'd like to start on this project in the meantime.

Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts
The threads that list the Paints needed and in what volumes also list the locations where they can be obtained. Web-based sources are the other option and often can be acquired for less that way if time is not a pressing issue.

You can't go wrong with the 8700. The new models will most likely maintain a high price point for a spell given that the older models are as excellent a performers as they are and have been discounted recently.

It's good you can take your time. I know of no better way to paint a Retractable or Fixed Mfg Screen than slowly, letting each coat dry to a "Bone Dry" state before proceeding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm ready to paint this blasted screen of mine. I haven't even used viewed anything on it for the longest time, but I'm ready to maximize it's potential.

I'm not opposed to spending money on whatever will make this job easier. Should I buy a spray gun or will using rollers be easier for a novice painter?

How do I go about getting paint? Can I just take a list to the store of what paints I need for the 120 inch screen?

Is the orginal paint recommendation still valid of this projector / screen setup or has there been advances in DIY paint mixtures in all this time?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney  /t/1357332/elite-projector-screens-paintable#post_23201590

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm ready to paint this blasted screen of mine. I haven't even used viewed anything on it for the longest time, but I'm ready to maximize it's potential.

OK! Welcome back!
Quote:
I'm not opposed to spending money on whatever will make this job easier. Should I buy a spray gun or will using rollers be easier for a novice painter?

When painting onto a Retractable, using a HVLP Sprayer is a must.
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

......and pick up and use this 1.5 mm Needle instead of the 2.0 mm needle the Spayer comes with.
http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-1-5mm-Needle-Brass-HV3500/dp/B00AQKFE7I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1366008017&sr=8-6&keywords=earlex+needle
Quote:
How do I go about getting paint? Can I just take a list to the store of what paints I need for the 120 inch screen?

That depends upon the choice of the paint / s used and that depends upon the PJ chosen (...no clue as to what that is yet...). also where you located the PJ (Throw distance) Was anything done to improve the characteristics inherent in the room itself?
Quote:
Is the orginal paint recommendation still valid of this projector / screen setup or has there been advances in DIY paint mixtures in all this time?

You have several options (...Rolling however isn't one of them...) and yes...things always change around here. But also, many things do not. If you want results like those seen in this thread : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

....................then expect to put in more effort.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Alright. That's not a bad price at all for a sprayer. I'll go ahead and get the sprayer and needle ordered in.

I've still got the Epson 8700UB and I really haven't improved the room at all. I still plan on doing a little bit to the ceiling and maybe throwing down a large darker colored rug.

I guess I would need to figure out what paint and what mixture quantities I would need for a 120" inch screen.

Is it two passes of paint or three?

Do you do this for customers on the side? How about I just have a new screen shipped to you and I'll pay you to paint it and ship it back to me. Looks like I'm only 6 hours and 40 minutes away from you. Haha.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,006 Posts
Just make the SF mix as described on the 1st page of the SF thread. You will have plenty. At time people have to adjust "UP" but it's not suggested you try to "Reduce", as coming up short is much worse...and more expensive.

Read the Thread about painting onto a Mfg Screen. When you use the size needle assembly suggested, and do the proper Dusting technique, it should take 6-8 such very light applications. You absolutely do NOT want to over apply paint onto a Mfg Material, because even if a run or sagging does not develop, any resulting texture is very difficult to remove via sanding because of the unsupported materiel.

Your doing good however, asking questions first before proceeding. Always best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.