AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found THIS screen at TigerDirect for $99. Is it any good? it's just the right size. I would be using it with a Sanyo Z3 projector. What could go wrong?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? None of my questions about screens have ever been answered. Is there a reason?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know if it is just that no one has an EliteScreen or if it is considered a faux pas to post about such an inexpensive product but.....

I have an EliteScreen. It is their I90HomeWHEX30. I have had it for just over three weeks and have not had an issue with it. I had initially ordered it sans the EX30 but it was backordered for a month and they upgraded it for free.

The information on the screens seems sparse at best. All I have ever found was the same review posted over and over again on some online stores. I don't know know what the gain is. I don't know what the material is. But I know it works for me.

Besides, if it doesn't work for you, send it back...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder
...or if it is considered a faux pas to post about such an inexpensive product but.....
Certainly not to me. :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am certainly no expert but I will throw out the following comments:

1) It doesn't say what the gain is. It's tough to determine if it is the 'right' screen if you don't have that tidbit of information.

2) The 'right' screen is not only heavily dependent on how many lumens your rig throws at it but also how much ambient light you have. If you cannot black out all the ambient light then you will need a screen with more gain. If your Sanyo doesn't put out a lot of lumens you will also want a high gain. On the other hand, if you can black out the ambient lighting and your Sanyo has good lumens then you might want a low gain (less than 1.0) in order to have greater contrast and better blacks.

This is the reason I am here today. I will have a hard time controlling ambient light if I set this up in my family room. That means I should go with high gain (greater than 1.0) but then I am giving up the true blacks and high contrast.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
1.0 matte white. They only have 1 fabric available currently. They are meant to be an inexpensive starter screen. Decent for the money. A lot of online places carry them because they can give them away as freebees and whatnot. As jdurbin mentioned, you really need to assess your situation and figure out what will work best in your room. If this happens to fit the bill, great. I wouldn't but it solely on price though, as there are other bigger screen companies that also make similarly priced units with more fabric choices.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basicly I need a starter screen. I don't even have the projector yet. I will be purchasing the projector and screen at the same time. I will have light control in my room when I get black out shades but right now, as you can see in THIS (old pic) picture, it is not suitable for day time projector use. I need a screen from the start becaus I don't have any open wall space to use as a temporary screen.

What other models do you recommend in that price range?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Have you read the big thread on the Graywolf screen yet? Here is a link to the screen. I think the street price is much lower.

I think this screen will fit you better since you have a lot of ambient light. You need a dark screen with high gain.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Elite is good for a starter screen. However, offerings from companies such as Dalite can be had for similar prices, and you have various material choices, customizing ability, etc.... They are also built a bit better to boot, so it would not have to necessarily be just a starter screen.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Gray Wolf screen looks really nice. The problem is that it doesn't seem to come in a small enough size. I don't want a screen any bigger than 84in. Anything bigger then that is just too big for my room. The smallest Gray Wolf screen I see is 92in. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.