AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I'm stumped on the 3 of these. I cannot decide which one is really the best way to go. I want a receiver that is relatively "future proof" if there is such a thing. The SC-25 & 3310CI are capable of networking, which is really cool, but I can also just connect a hard drive Via USB to the Elite VSX-23TXH and access my music library this way too.

Anyone have any experience with AV Receivers that offer networking? Anyone happen to purchase any of these yet (Not sure if the SC-25 or VSC-23TXH are in stock yet, so any experience with previous years model would help too!)

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the 25's are new to the scene so it's difficult for anyone to comment on them. But if you just go by the specs. It looks like the SC-25 offers a little more in feature dept for the price point especially under the MSRP. I'm seriously looking at one to replace my current receiver. I'm not sure I'd base my purchase decision just on networking, becausew as you say there are work arounds.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sonus /forum/post/16911231

Hi All-

I'm stumped on the 3 of these. I cannot decide which one is really the best way to go. I want a receiver that is relatively "future proof" if there is such a thing. The SC-25 & 3310CI are capable of networking, which is really cool, but I can also just connect a hard drive Via USB to the Elite VSX-23TXH and access my music library this way too.

Anyone have any experience with AV Receivers that offer networking? Anyone happen to purchase any of these yet (Not sure if the SC-25 or VSC-23TXH are in stock yet, so any experience with previous years model would help too!)

Any help appreciated!

Well, you are not getting the same thing or price point with these 3 AVRs. I have been reshearching the the 3310 vs the 23 and it depends what you really need and what you mean by networking. The 3310 will connect to internet for internet radio and is firmware upgradable. That's what really makes it "futureproof" and networkable. Both have serial cable in for local component networking, but this isn't internet ready. I don't know about the 25 as I haven't looked into that. Also, more power, more features on some fronts with the Denon and a couple less on others. The specs are all on the respective websites. There is a $500 difference in MSRP. Ultimately, I'm going with the 23 and I'm convinced the the 3310 is a definite step up from the 23, but I really can live without those features and power (at least this year). The 23 is a bang for the buck killer if you don't need a lot of power for inefficient speakers/room size etc. 3310 and the 25 are maybe a more even comparison. I've always had Denon including my 2808ci which I use as a pre/pro for a B&K 200.5. I have a company taking both for an even trade, so I hope I'm not too shocked with my new setup, but it'll have 3 more HDMI ins and a zone 2 audio/video and a zone 3 audio which I need. I probably could market my components and get a bit more, but I'll try the Pionneer and let you know. Sounds like the 23 will come in about 2 or 3 weeks as the dealer says haven't started shipping yet. Keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Wabkab, etc.

I'm starting to lean towards the 23 as well. I suppose having the ability to stream music via internet stations would be nice, but honestly i don't think I'd ever use it- I could see using the networking capability for connecting to another machine, etc as more useful. It appears as if i can get this with the 23 though without spending the extra $$$ by simply connecting a hard drive externally through the usb port. My only concern now is power- I'm running Sonus Faber Grand Pianos and the 140 watts on the SC-25 would be nice.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yes, unless you're getting old like myself (53) and/or room is small or you don't like things up, you may lose some dynamics at higher volumes with the 23. If you can otherwise afford it, the amps in the 25 and next the Denon would be better, but for me it comes down to need and economics. I'll probably have the shoulda, woulda, coulda syndrome as I usually do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wabkab. I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon & the 23TXH at this point. Going to demo them over the weekend at the local Magnolia store- apparently they have the 23 in stock now- I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
To throw in a wrench; my Magnolia had the SC-05's from last years line up for 899, down from a much higher MSRP. It doesn't really have what I want, though--less HDMI's, etc.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
the 05, IMO, would be a superior choice to the 23...

if you need more than 4 hdmi inputs, there's simple options to get them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts