AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any possible use for the third (middle) LNB on an ellipical dish. I noticed that there are now dual and quad LNB devices available.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you are talking about the DirecTV oval dish, yes. The middle position is for the 110 degree orbital position.

If you are a D* subscriber living in the Carolinas, they havs a special 'Sat C' kit to get the local stations there.

Now, if you want to have some fun, you can convert the dish to use it with Dish Networks and DirecTV at the same time.

By putting a regular (NOT Sat C Kit) LNBF in the center position and adding the right switches, you can get it to pick up:

DirecTV - 101 (main) and 119 (HDTV, locals & Espanol)

Dish Networks - 119 (main) and 110 (AT150 extra channels, locals)

I have an article on what I did to accomplish this at http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml

At the end of the article there is a link to another excellent site that has diagrams of all the possible hookup combinations.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Great article Mongo.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mongo: are the images available somewhere else? All the images in your article on techweenies are broken.

Thanks!!

------------------

-- Randell

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hmmm, why did you want basic programming for both Dish and DirecTV?

I'm using two regular dishes:

1) DirecTV 101 (basic programming, NFL Sunday Ticket)

2) Dish 148 (HDTV: HBO and Showtime)

I have an oval dish sitting idle in the garage. Am I missing anything major, considering that I don't have a DirecTV HDTV receiver for HDnet? Any reason I should want Dish basic programming, considering that I already have DirecTV basic programming?

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan:
Great article Mongo.

Thanks very much!

I had a lot of fun with the project and putting it together. One change I would make to the project as it stands is to recommend using a SW44 with the SW21's or a SW64.

It appears that, in practice, the SW42 really doesn't like to be cascaded with the SW21's and the signal-split multiswitch. Not enough power, I guess.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jesup:
Mongo: are the images available somewhere else? All the images in your article on techweenies are broken.

Thanks!!

No, the images are only on the Techweenies.com server. I just went there and they come up fine.

Now, they *are* a little big. If you are on a slow connection, you might have to wait or reload the page.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
The problem with the images is a problem with the website and ns4.7. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the <ilayer> tag causing ns4.7 to hit a bug with figuring out what the base URL is. It's trying to fetch the images from banner.clickfinder.com/banner/images/* . You might fix it by adding a <base href=" http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml"&gt ; tag, or removing the <ilayer>.

This problem does not exist with ns6/mozilla and probably doesn't in IE. (Layers are a netscape-only thing that was dropped from NS6 and Mozilla.)

------------------

-- Randell

·
Registered
399 Posts
Someone still uses Netscape? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

OK, I put in the base href tag, so you should be able to see the pics now. Can't remove the ilayer tags, as they are part of an ad and I am not supposed to change the code.

Del, yes you can use your Dish 500 dish to pick up DirecTV's 101 satellite as long as you do not have a Twin or Quad LNBF. Those have switches built in that aren't compatible.

You will have to connect the DirecTV receiver directly to the LNBF, bypassing any switches you may have had in your system.

What you won't be able to do (well, not easily) is pick up both DirecTV orbital positions at 101 (main) and 119 (HDTV, locals & espanol). The Dish 500 isn't made for a 18 degree spread from 101 to 119. It is made for a 9 degree spread from 110 to 119.

But, as long as the LNBF's are compatible, there is nothing to prevent you from re-pointing it at the 101 satellite for DirecTV. Use the same elevation and skew as you would for Dish (or if the dish is still installed, leave it alone) but loosen the bolts that hold it on the post and sweep the sky slowly until you get a signal.

Once you lock in on the sat, you can fine tune it but the main thing is going to be the azimuth.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.