Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A local contractor came out to my place on Friday to setup a Sony elliptical HD satellite dish. I am kicking myself for not checking on their work while they were still here because yesterday (Saturday) I looked up to the roof where they put the dish and saw that the dish was oriented horizontally. Now every other elliptical HD dish setup I've previously seen was angled, not horizontal. My question is, will this affect reception of the HD satellite? I can't check because the new receiver I purchased did not have an access card, and the HD monitor that will eventually receive the signal won't be set up for a couple of months.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Most of the time proffesional installers know what they are doing. They have those expensive satellite finders they use that locks in a very good reading on both sat birds. I would suggest to just wait for the card. I'm sure it will work just fine. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't use the inline signal monitor, they used the on-screen graphic that indicates signal strength.

I would correct it myself if there is a problem, but the dish is on the roof of a three story building and I don't have a ladder to reach that height.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody else have any idea?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Now every other elliptical HD dish setup I've previously seen was angled, not horizontal
That's because they were installed correctly. The orientation of the sats from your position is not horizontal. Using the 22079 zip code for Lorton, the 101 sat is at:

Azimuth: 215.2°

Elevation: 38.8°

The 119 sat is at:

Azimuth: 235.0°

Elevation: 27.9°

The only way your dish will "see" both satellites, is to tilt it like everyone else.

-Robert

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you go into your st-up memory do you get a signal strength for both sats? Chances are you are not. When I was doing mine I thought I had both but was getting a phantom signal on the 101 sat and trouble getting the 119 because of that. TILT matters!!

Good Luck!

Brian

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I thought, but just wanted to be sure before calling the contractor and saying something about it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks entity. I should have thought of that. I'll check after work tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.