AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1481 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone bought Elunevision Ref. Studio 4k fixed screen recently?
How was your assembly experience and how do you like your screen? Looking for close up photos. These screens used to ship with a 5" frame, but per my recent conversation with Elunevision, they are now shipped with a 4" frame.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello all! I have a Reference 4K tab-tensioned on the way and it never even occurred to me to search these forums before ordering. It may not have made a difference honestly, my decision was based on several factors of size/price/custom fitment. (long story). Fact of the matter is, I see lots of mixed information on this screen - but when don't you see mixed information? LOL. Have a few questions:

1) When it arrives, I was under the impression it was simply hang and hook up the motor. But now I'm getting mixed signals for assembly. Is there assembly required for the tab-tensioned motorized?
2) I currently have a 10yr old Everview (no longer in business, possible-no-name) white, manual pull. You think I will see a large visual improvement with this screen? I'm excited about it but figure improvement may only be noticed by videophiles.
3) Any Epson 5040UB suggestions for set-up that relate specifically to this screen? (other than the common suggestions on the Epson Thread)
4) Should we all continue to expect support problems/defects from this brand? Frankly I feel few companies helpful anymore, Panasonic Canada first to come to mind - horrible support.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Have a few questions:
1. No should be fairly simple if youre using hooks and chains

2. If it was a budget $100 screen than yes a big improvement

3. No the screen shouldnt affect projector calibration

4. Elunevision support is ok you just have to be persistent, i.e. 2 emails to get a response and firmly state what tou want to happen lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello all! I have a Reference 4K tab-tensioned on the way and it never even occurred to me to search these forums before ordering. It may not have made a difference honestly, my decision was based on several factors of size/price/custom fitment. (long story). Fact of the matter is, I see lots of mixed information on this screen - but when don't you see mixed information? LOL. Have a few questions:

1) When it arrives, I was under the impression it was simply hang and hook up the motor. But now I'm getting mixed signals for assembly. Is there assembly required for the tab-tensioned motorized?
2) I currently have a 10yr old Everview (no longer in business, possible-no-name) white, manual pull. You think I will see a large visual improvement with this screen? I'm excited about it but figure improvement may only be noticed by videophiles.
3) Any Epson 5040UB suggestions for set-up that relate specifically to this screen? (other than the common suggestions on the Epson Thread)
4) Should we all continue to expect support problems/defects from this brand? Frankly I feel few companies helpful anymore, Panasonic Canada first to come to mind - horrible support.

I Installed mine a couple weeks ago as I am in the process of completing my HT but wanted to dry test everything to make sure everything was working as they were supposed to. Really easy installation, took my wife and I 30 minutes. Lots of springs to bind but the system is well made and simple. I have the 125" 4k audioweave paired with a JVC 590X. So far I am not that impress with sport in particular, I find it grainy I feel my optoma HD33 was doing a better job. It was calibrated by the company who sold me the projector, but I need to do my own test and calibration which I didn't had time to do yet, so this is to take with a grain of salt

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered a 120” Elunevision Aurora 4K ALR motorized tension tabbed. It has a 1.3 gain (I have light in my room) and won’t be arriving until early March. Current using a Grandview TT with 1.0 gain. Curios to see the difference between the two

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
I ordered a 120” Elunevision Aurora 4K ALR motorized tension tabbed. It has a 1.3 gain (I have light in my room) and won’t be arriving until early March. Current using a Grandview TT with 1.0 gain. Curios to see the difference between the two
You will notice an increase in contrast, but not too sure about additional light due to the grey material. Trust you are not a 3D fan, since the grey material has a blue hue when watching 3D.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just hung my new Reference 4K motorized tab-tensioned screen, 3 months waiting for it (although it was custom sized so I suppose I can't really complain about the turn around time. Although I can complain about many things. I'm coming off of an 10+ year old non-tab-tensioned EverView which was built like a tank and worked very well, pehaps everything is horrible these days - or maybe it's just the Elunevisions?

1) Little to no instructions, no labeling on the units control panel. Website no better, showing inaccurate and non-applicable documents. There are 2 RJ style jacks, it is just by coincidence that I plugged the wired control box into the right one as apparently the other one is for 12v trigger. The only reason I even know this is because I contacted them to ask why there was no 12v trigger when they are advertised with one. Turns out the extra RJ style wire they give you in the box is for you to wire up yourself with whatever connection your AVR or projector use. Would be nice if they at atleast told you which 2 of the 6 wires you are supposed to use!

2) Tab-tensioning useless, sides curling forwards distorting the edges. I suppose the adjustments on the weight bar could help improve this but since there are no instructions telling me what to do, I don't want to mess with it.

3) Don't trust the ceiling hangers - although I should consider myself lucky as some info on their website shows units are not even coming with any while other documents show different ones. It's not so much the hanger I don't like, which in my case are pretty strong extruded aluminum units. It's the thin shallow housing of the screen that I feel does not have the security. The groove is so shallow, when your hanging it you have to triple check you've got it hooked because you can't tell. I feel the very thin material can flex if forced slightly and the shallow groove design will easily let go. Taking into account the strength of the mounting, I think there should have been 3 instead of 2.

4) Screen material is micro-thin and very cheap. The tabs are merely screen material with holes through them, and the string going through them is extremely thin. Seems to me if dust hits the screen it will tear, and I'm betting eventually the string will eventually cut through the holes in the tabs as there are no eyelets or anything to strengthen them. I now understand why many people have torn screens, especially if all brands are built this thin.

5) Came with 1 wired control box (with IR receiver) and 2 remotes (1 IR and 1 RF). The box is hideous looking, and both remotes take obscure impossible to find expensive batteries. Thankfully the RF remote works well because I still can't figure out why the IR remote is not working. I've spoken to customer support, they are politely telling me I don't know how to work an IR remote.

Reactions: Rooster

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wanted to write a new section for the positive of my new Elunevision so it was easier to see there is a positive from the long list of negatives above.

1) Motor seems quiet, upper and lower limits appear to stop at the exact same place every time.

2) Image quality extremely good IMO. Even though my prior screen was also a gain of 1 - I find the Reference 4K to be far brighter and bolder colours. I was actually able to turn my bulb from medium to eco and also using Cinema mode for some media now whereas I felt before I had to use digital cinema for the necessary brightness. I don't know if I can accurately say it's sharper right now, need more time using it.

I would say if there were not so many negatives as listed above, the Reference 4K would be an absolute stunning value. Even still, once I get some of the problems solved, that against other manufacturers it seems a good value. I just have to be very careful around the screen not to ruin it. Of course, I expect others will chime in here - and rightfully so. I have almost no experience with different screens so I'd be interested to hear what others think,

Reactions: Rooster

·
Registered
14 Posts
EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Fixed Frame Screen Review vs Stewart

EluneVision Review in Home Theater Magazine

https://hometheaterreview.com/elunevision-reference-studio-4k-fixed-frame-screen-reviewed/

I have copied the conclusion from the article below...looks like it definitely competes well with Stewart for a lot less money.

Conclusion

”Does EluneVision's Reference Studio 4K screen live up to the hype? I'd have to say that it does. While not quite reaching the strictest standards set by Stewart with their StudioTek 100, it comes extremely close. You need to do a close-up inspection to spot the subtle differences. However, I found these differences impossible to see from a normal viewing distance. If you have a room with proper light control, I can't think of a better screen anywhere near its price point.“

Still have about a month to wait for mine and very much looking forward to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Elunevision reference studio 4k nanoedge screen review vs stewart

Here is another review from Home Theater Hifi that compares the Elunevision Reference 4K directly to the Stewart StudioTek 100

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...n-reference-studio-4k-nanoedge-screen-review/

The conclusion is noted below:

”ELUNEVISION’S REFERENCE STUDIO 4K NANOEDGE SCREEN delivers full 4K resolution from capable projectors without altering color or sacrificing seating position. At a low price of $3200.00, it is a top contender challenging screens costing three times the price.”

FWIW I know Stewart makes high quality screens that are considered the gold standard. I’m posting these reviews here only for those of us that want:

(1) to know what professional reviewers with, in this case, professional equipment experienced and measured, and
(2) what value options are available for consideration when one is considering plunking down $$$$ for a screen, and
(3) sharing them in this forum so that other enthusiasts can come here and have a reference source for this kind of information.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
EluneVision Review in Home Theater Magazine

https://hometheaterreview.com/elunevision-reference-studio-4k-fixed-frame-screen-reviewed/

I have copied the conclusion from the article below...looks like it definitely competes well with Stewart for a lot less money.

Conclusion

”Does EluneVision's Reference Studio 4K screen live up to the hype? I'd have to say that it does. While not quite reaching the strictest standards set by Stewart with their StudioTek 100, it comes extremely close. You need to do a close-up inspection to spot the subtle differences. However, I found these differences impossible to see from a normal viewing distance. If you have a room with proper light control, I can't think of a better screen anywhere near its price point.“

Here is another review from Home Theater Hifi that compares the Elunevision Reference 4K directly to the Stewart StudioTek 100

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...n-reference-studio-4k-nanoedge-screen-review/

”ELUNEVISION’S REFERENCE STUDIO 4K NANOEDGE SCREEN delivers full 4K resolution from capable projectors without altering color or sacrificing seating position. At a low price of $3200.00, it is a top contender challenging screens costing three times the price.”
Just hung my new Reference 4K motorized tab-tensioned screen...I'm coming off of an 10+ year old non-tab-tensioned EverView which was built like a tank and worked very well, pehaps everything is horrible these days - or maybe it's just the Elunevisions?...

4) Screen material is micro-thin and very cheap....
I find Marco's review to be quite useful, especially regarding the screen material. Seems like this material may be quite fragile, especially for drop down installs. In addition, according to the first review:

"The white Reference Studio 4K material is thin, ... EluneVision provides light absorbing fabric to install directly behind the screen to prevent light from passing through."

If we need light absorbing fabric behind it, this also affects it's suitability for drop downs. Of course the second review completely contradicts this:

"This is an opaque, unity gain (1.0) screen material"

Interesting contradictions for the same screen material.

Pip

·
Registered
344 Posts
I’m getting an impression that EluneVision don’t make their own screens but rather buy off the shelf products/components in China and resell them. I’m basing this on forum posts that say Reference 4K motorized screen material is a completely different screen material from fixed frame version. Their standard fixed frame width was 5”, now it’s 4” without any major announcement.

They might still be very good value screens but there is definitely a reason for the lower price.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts

FWIW I know Stewart makes high quality screens that are considered the gold standard. I’m posting these reviews here only for those of us that want:

(1) to know what professional reviewers with, in this case, professional equipment experienced and measured, and
(2) what value options are available for consideration when one is considering plunking down $$$$ for a screen, and
(3) sharing them in this forum so that other enthusiasts can come here and have a reference source for this kind of information.
If you look closely at the Benchmark results, the Elunvision Reference Studio 4K has a gain of 0.81 (white measured at ony 98.35 nits, when the projector is calibrated on the Stewart ST100 to 120.65 nits). Essentially a 2000 lumens projector will look like a 1620 lumens projector when used with the screen.

And yet the review simply repeats Elunvision’s claims such as "The Reference Studio 4K material used in this NanoEdge LED screen has a 1.0 gain. Advertised as a perfect Lambertian diffuser, the material will deliver whatever is projected back to your eye unaltered. It shouldn’t change the output level, nor should it alter grayscale, color, or viewing angle." with only a watered down comment "the EluneVision’s color of white looked much the same and the array of saturated colors also looked the same, there was just a slight overall brightness difference".

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I’m getting an impression that EluneVision don’t make their own screens but rather buy off the shelf products/components in China and resell them.
If I’m not mistaken Elunevision is a Chinese company.

I’m basing this on forum posts that say Reference 4K motorized screen material is a completely different screen material from fixed frame version.
This is very interesting and might explain a lot. Do you have any links or references to these posts? I don’t recall reading any on this forum by someone who has owned or seen both. According to the Elunevision vision website, this is supposed to be the same material. That doesn’t mean it is.

Pip

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is very interesting and might explain a lot. Do you have any links or references to these posts? I don’t recall reading any on this forum by someone who has owned or seen both. According to the Elunevision vision website, this is supposed to be the same material. That doesn’t mean it is.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-s...nomatte-but-3-times-cheaper.html#post28595858

Link to the pictures not working, but it looked like comparing an elite cinewhite to a stewart studiotek. I have a 100el as well and can confirm it is the same budget material as elite/carls/etc but with no black backing, which doesnt prevent hotspotting even at a 1.6throw. I haven't seen their fixed frame version as they dont provide samples, the only screen company that i've come across that wont provide samples. All of their advertising and posts on this forum were false in regards to their tab tensioned reference 4k 100el material. I would advise extreme caution with their aurora 4k alr as you can probably order the same material directly from china for 1/4 of the price.

My screen had a manufacturing defect as well with close spaced horizontal marks and when the screen was replaced the replacement had the same defect. Very visible with the hotspotting, maybe if you had a 2.0+ throw you wouldnt notice them.

I'd advise taking anything from projectorscreen.com as just repeating advertising as well.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2364473-elunevision-projector-screen.html#post42458561

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I have a fixed frame 100" EluneVision with the 5" border and love the PQ it gives me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ditto, I've had a 115" Elunevision Reference Studio 4K fixed frame screen since 2013 and love it. Before that I had a Stewart Studiotek 130.

TBH I like the Elunevision much better because the Stewart suffered from sparkles in bright scenes (once you see it, you can't stop seeing it). The Elunevision has none of the sparkly shimmers -- just a clean, crisp image.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I’m not mistaken Elunevision is a Chinese company.

Pip
I believe Elunevision is a Canadian designer and retailer of screens they have manufactured in China.

1441 - 1460 of 1481 Posts