AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1481 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just hung my new Reference 4K motorized tab-tensioned screen, 3 months waiting for it (although it was custom sized so I suppose I can't really complain about the turn around time. Although I can complain about many things. I'm coming off of an 10+ year old non-tab-tensioned EverView which was built like a tank and worked very well, pehaps everything is horrible these days - or maybe it's just the Elunevisions?

1) Little to no instructions, no labeling on the units control panel. Website no better, showing inaccurate and non-applicable documents. There are 2 RJ style jacks, it is just by coincidence that I plugged the wired control box into the right one as apparently the other one is for 12v trigger. The only reason I even know this is because I contacted them to ask why there was no 12v trigger when they are advertised with one. Turns out the extra RJ style wire they give you in the box is for you to wire up yourself with whatever connection your AVR or projector use. Would be nice if they at atleast told you which 2 of the 6 wires you are supposed to use!

2) Tab-tensioning useless, sides curling forwards distorting the edges. I suppose the adjustments on the weight bar could help improve this but since there are no instructions telling me what to do, I don't want to mess with it.

3) Don't trust the ceiling hangers - although I should consider myself lucky as some info on their website shows units are not even coming with any while other documents show different ones. It's not so much the hanger I don't like, which in my case are pretty strong extruded aluminum units. It's the thin shallow housing of the screen that I feel does not have the security. The groove is so shallow, when your hanging it you have to triple check you've got it hooked because you can't tell. I feel the very thin material can flex if forced slightly and the shallow groove design will easily let go. Taking into account the strength of the mounting, I think there should have been 3 instead of 2.

4) Screen material is micro-thin and very cheap. The tabs are merely screen material with holes through them, and the string going through them is extremely thin. Seems to me if dust hits the screen it will tear, and I'm betting eventually the string will eventually cut through the holes in the tabs as there are no eyelets or anything to strengthen them. I now understand why many people have torn screens, especially if all brands are built this thin.

5) Came with 1 wired control box (with IR receiver) and 2 remotes (1 IR and 1 RF). The box is hideous looking, and both remotes take obscure impossible to find expensive batteries. Thankfully the RF remote works well because I still can't figure out why the IR remote is not working. I've spoken to customer support, they are politely telling me I don't know how to work an IR remote.
Consider yourself lucky - the IR remote does note work and so the lights have never been turned on(nanoedge). After three months, several emails and now a phone call, the “engineers are working on the problem”

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Hey all, thinking of joining the ranks of the projection/screen enthusiasts when I build out my basement probably some time this year. It won't be a dedicated home theater, more of a large open space (total room size is ~40 x 18). Main LP will be ~12 to 14 feet from the screen.

I'll probably be able to get the wall where the screen will be painted a relatively darker shade of grey (not black).

Haven't decided on projector yet, but I'm thinking ceiling mount.

The Elunevision screens seem to be quite competitively priced, and being in Canada I'm intrigued. I need a screen that will be acoustically transparent, and likely around 125" or so. The Elunevision site claims 1.15 gain...has anyone measured their AT screens?

https://elunevision.com/materials/reference-studio-4k-audioweave/

Renderings of what I'm thinking below.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great interview!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has anyone used the Reference Studio 4K screen with the BenQ TK850? In response to some questions I asked them, they told me that "Reference screen itself will have no hotspotting, but benq projector tk850 is not that good, especially the optics so may still have some depending on the projector. Its called screen door effect, an un-uniform image brightness caused by projector this happens industry wide on many screens...." Besides the TK850, anyone seen this on any other projector?

PS - apologies that I am going to double-post in the TK850 thread.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
the source seems to be having some sales on the reference studio tensioned screens. Not sure why the heavy discount.... closeout? Related to these screens (ie. reference studio tab tensioned), any comments on the flatness of the surface? Hit or miss?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"the source"?

Pip
sorry... i forgot about the "world".... thesource.ca . its the arm of bell canada that originally was the canadian arm of radio shack. Anyways, I spotted a reference studio tab tensioned 106 for 50% (canadian dollars) which I thought seemed odd enough for me to take a gamble. Hopefully, the screen will be OK in terms of flatness and operation along with picture quality.

I see now looking thru the site, only the one size is on sale but as it turns out, the only size I can fit into my room.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone tried their audioweave (AT) screen ?
I'm looking for a 135'' AT screen so I'm wondering how it would compare to a silver ticket wvs or a SeymourAV XD or UF....

I guess they don't sell fabrics only screen

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is general consensus and thought on EluneVision Reference studio 4K fixed screen? I think they are just 1.0 gain like most white screen.

I was offered to purchase 125 inch for $1000 CDN (~$780 US) as part of projector combo package. But I wonder if this screen is any good for the price? or can I get a better 125 inch screen for the similar or lower price?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
What is general consensus and thought on EluneVision Reference studio 4K fixed screen? I think they are just 1.0 gain like most white screen.

I was offered to purchase 125 inch for $1000 CDN (~$780 US) as part of projector combo package. But I wonder if this screen is any good for the price? or can I get a better 125 inch screen for the similar or lower price?

Thank you!
It's an excellent screen, probably the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Reactions: coolmanfever

·
Registered
753 Posts
Asked Eastporters what the difference was from their regular 4k Reference AT screen and their reference 4k audioweave nanoedge aside from smaller bezel and lights and they never answered me. They both pretty much have the same description but for a $2k difference.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I created a operate thread about my Elunevision Motorized tab tension screen here :

But I'm interested if any other owners of Elunevision tab tension screens are experiencing the same issue with theirs :

I recently bought my first projector (JVC NX7) & screen (Elunevision 112" motorized tab tension screen EV8K-T3-112-1.0)

I mounted my screen & projector a little over 2 weeks ago and I was initially disappointed in some waves on both corners of the screen. This being my first screen I'm wondering if my expectations that it should be pretty flat are realistic for a motorized screen.

pics:

Update 1:

Elunevision had one of their tech guys contact me. He said that because I'm using only a little bit (about 3 or 4") of the top black drop the tension string isn't fully drawn out near the bottom. He told me to loosen the tension string, hang some 2.5lbs weights on each end of the tension bar and leave it for 3 days.

I'm still on the 2nd day of stretching the screen, but immediately with the weights on either end of the screen the waves disappeared. The big question is if it will stay this way after I remove the weights and retract and drop the screen again.

I'll update when I know the results.

Update 2:

so to follow up, initially when I removed the weights the screen looked very good. I retracted and then dropped down the screen and it still seemed ok. I retraced the screen and left it up overnight and then dropped the screen down today and the curls have returned :(

One thing that I've noticed is that tightening or loosening the tension string (the bottom hex on the tension bar) doesn't really seem to be doing anything, or at least it's not perceptible to me...

Still awaiting further advice from Elunevision's tech...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any luck getting your screen issues taken care of @Rooster
I recently bought the reference 4k tab tensioned screen 112" and have slight "ripples" in the lower left corner. Not quite as bad as what i see in your pics.
I also saw no difference when adjusting the tension.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wanted to add a followup for Elunevision, regarding my 4K screen. So push came to shove and things went sort of sour. Immediately upon hanging it I found instructions were not for my screen and nothing online showed the same hardware. Also there were problems with the IR remote which differed much from the literature and what I expected. It was correctable but they actually wanted me to buy more stuff to fix it and make it like the sales brochure.

For a whole year after that while the screen was under warranty I fought about a defect in the manufacturing, kept talking to a guy named Steve I think - and he kept ditching me. The screens weight bar is fastened to the screen unevenly by about 1/2" and is very visible with the horizon and center channel under it.

Another time, my wife and I woke in the middle of the night and the motor was making this horrific squealing noise, running downstairs it would not respond. As the screen lowers in front of the equipment room door, I had to damage the door and screen a little to access the outlet and unplug it. The next morning in attempting to deal with it, I plugged it back in and it was dead. The IR remote never worked from day one and it wouldn't respond to the EF remote. I followed the instructions included with my screen and also found on the internet 2 different sets of instructions for the same screen - to attempt repairing the remote to see if loosing the memory was the only problem but nothing worked. I once again got in contact with this mysterious and elusive Steve character (mmnn, Elusive...Elunevision) and he said - oh no that's not how you repair it (sort if like "you're such an idiot"). So he led me through another procedure that is nowhere in my documentation and nowhere on the internet which actually seemed to work. He later ditched me again when I asked for help again on adjusting the screen tension which went out of whack when I forced the tab-strings to access the door (whilst the unit was still supposed to be under warranty).

It`s not all bad I suppose, I think I paid a great price for the product and after all it`s still working. I`m really angry an the horrid support, both in the severe inconsistencies of item vs it`s instructions and the fact even stuff on their site does not represent any help either. Upon contacting them, you`re lucky if they reply. The initial WOW factor you get from the price vs. performance is quickly dimmed out by the post-purchase experience. I suppose if the product and service was as good as bigger brands the price would also be the same - so I suppose if you ask would I buy it again - I would likely say yes.

To input what I've learned over the past year or so.
Live Support: Near zero.
Literature/online support: Extremely misleading and unreliable, what you get with the screen and other info online often is not correct.
Reliability: Questionable.
Picture quality: I think ok but I'm no pro.
Manufactured: Confirmed, China.
Price: I have to say amazing for the performance, but be aware you`re on your own as soon as you get it home.

1461 - 1480 of 1481 Posts