AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed my first elusive 1099. Tried it with a Sony amp and feel it's low frequency response is pretty low. All the speakers work and I double checked connections. In contrast my Elac floorstanders sound much more punchier. Even the single woofer Sony speaker that came with my mini component seem to be better at low frequency response. I understand that these have to be coupled with a sub to be used in a theater but hoped they will still be good as standard speakers to be used for music without a sub. Is it not the case?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
They have to be paired with subs because they aren't designed to product much bass under 65hz. Are you powering them with the same thing as your other speakers in roughly the same place?

Also, be sure you've wired the woofers in parallel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are in parallel and powered by the same amp. I am testing both at the same place.
I could not find any accoustic foam so just filled the chamber lightly with polyfill. Ports are not blocked. Could this be a reason?
It's totally fine as I am building two 18"subs anyway. But is there any particular reason why it is designed not to go below 65hz? Would such a design sacrifice 65+ Hertz range?

Thank you
M

·
Registered
353 Posts
But is there any particular reason why it is designed not to go below 65hz? Would such a design sacrifice 65+ Hertz range?

Thank you
M
Speakers that have good bass do so at the expense of efficiency (or box size). Google "Hoffman's Iron Law".

·
Registered
741 Posts
I found my klipsch rp600m to produce better lows than the elac debut 2.0 towers
In one of my theaters my rp160ms go down to about 30hz, very nice.

With diysg most designs are designed with one specific feature in mind -- high spl with high fidelity. Because that involves 120db spl for most speakers, the compromise is to roll of by about 50 or 60 or even 80 in most designs.

Tower versions are often made which can do more.

There is a very big difference between crossing over a 12" woofer at 80hz than a 6.5" in my klipsch...more impact, better transition to subs.

Every speaker is a compromise, even if the only one was to choose to make it huge to overcome the other attributes (i.e. a larger tower 1099 to achieve deeper extension).

·
Premium Member
7,200 Posts
I've just completed my first elusive 1099. Tried it with a Sony amp and feel it's low frequency response is pretty low. All the speakers work and I double checked connections. In contrast my Elac floorstanders sound much more punchier. Even the single woofer Sony speaker that came with my mini component seem to be better at low frequency response. I understand that these have to be coupled with a sub to be used in a theater but hoped they will still be good as standard speakers to be used for music without a sub. Is it not the case?
Yep, the 1099's are really designed to be crossed over at 80Hz as part of a system. From there up they are monsters that need very little power to get really loud. Come back and report after you have integrated the 18" subs. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your support. It s good to to hear that this is normal. Time to start assembling subs!

·
Registered
980 Posts
The 1099 (and well, pretty much ALL of the DIYSG designs) were created around the concept that everyone who would be buying them have a subwoofer. When your entire customer base owns a subwoofer, there is no point at all in making sacrifices in the speaker design itself to force the speaker to cover frequencies the subwoofer will be doing anyway.

In order to achieve lower bass response, the 1099 would've had to sacrifice sensitivity across the rest of the bandwidth. So it comes down to a design decision, do you lower sensitivity to give deeper response when none of your client base will actually use it, or do you go for the absolute best clean output you can get with the natural 80hz cross-over? The obvious answer was the latter. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts