AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are adding an addition to our home that will add about 2,000 square feet and a 3 car garage (we already have a 2 car garage).

Within this space will be a new office for myself, and an exercise room on the first floor. On the 2nd floor, will be my man cave area area.

I have provided an image to show how I have things planned out for the upstairs portion. I am very open to suggestions though. I thought of putting the bar in the rear, but I think that will make my space cramped for a pool table/extra sitting area.

I do have 1 question at them moment. I saw somewhere (I have read so many threads here i forgot which one specifically) where ssomeone built their theater with a box in the floor with a removable cover. This box allowed them to plug in video game consoles/camcorders etc without going to their equipment rack. Any idea where these things can be purchased?

Image to follow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know didly squat about projectors. I currently have a Sharp 65 inch LCD tv.

The wife gave me the thumbs up for a projector though.

What should I look for in a projector?

Do Sharp or Panasonic make a good one?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
To link in an image you do a [img ] then close with a [/img ] (no space at the end).

Like this:

Your side bar seems less than ideal. What are your needs for sound isolation in this build? If this structure is kind of removed from the main living areas (or your isolation needs are low) your bar could be a pass through like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022589

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May main use for sound isolation is so it wont bother anyone who is in the other seating area outside the theater room. My wife and her friends may sit out there when the guys are watching UFC or some such. And also, the isolation is to just ensure I don't bother any neighbors or anyone in or connected house.

The bar area being inside the theater area was my wife's idea. She wanted it away and out of of view of the other area for some reason.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Any chance you could grab some space from the family room, and maybe narrow the room a bit? If you went to say 25 x 18 you would have a room that is less square, and maybe shift your bar to the rear of the room, flipping the orientation so the closet is in the rear.

This does a few things -

1. your bar seats are oriented towards the screen

2. your equipment and flashing lights are in the rear of the room where they don't distract

3. your room would be less square.

The downsides that I can think of -

the bar might be less social a space and more of an overflow/eating setup

might need the room for the pool table

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have removed the bar from the room completely and moved the theater to the first floor.

I think i have everyhting laid out on the plan now like I want it.

The one thing i am pulling my hair out over right now is trying to find a connector box like i saw in one of the build threads (which I can not find).

Whoever it was, had a box that mounted in the floor. This box had a cover. The box was wired to all their gear in their equipment rack so that they were able to plug a camcorder, game console, etc. into the box without going behind their gear to do it. The box was located near the front row seats. I want to have that. It is pretty much a must have with 3 kids, a wii, 3 xbox 360's, a playstation3 etc. In the house.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Another alternative (depending on where your eq rack sits) is to install the auxillary inputs in the face of your riser with conduit to your eq. Just a thought.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts