AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of you have probably already seen this but thought I'd post it here for general interest. I'm on an email distro for updates and news on Pioneer electronics products. Their most recent one was intended to ask some common questions about plasmas. I'm posting this information not as a statement of fact, purely passing along what Pioneer has stated. I think more objective analysis and technical explanations are offered in the VERY valuable plasma FAQ found in this forum on these topics.

"What is the life expectancy of a Plasma Display?

A Pioneer plasma screen will produce bright visual images for well over 30,000 hours. That is more than your standard television and almost 3 and a half years of non-stop viewing. If you use a plasma display 5 hours a day that is 16 years of use. When we state the estimated life expectancy of a plasma display or television set, we are referring to half-life. Meaning that after 30,000 hours of normal use the display still has half the brightness it started with.

What about Burn-In?

All Plasma Displays regardless of manufacturers use phosphor. When a static image is left on screen for an extended period of time a shadow of that image may remain when the image is changed. If that static is left on long enough it could remain permanently. This is commonly referred to as "burn-in". Some plasma displays are more susceptible to burn-in than others due to the way the manufacturer 'drive' the plasma.

Look for a plasma that has built in Automatic Brightness Limited (ABL). ABL subtly decreases brightness when it senses a still image. The chosen plasma should also have built in color washes that cleans the screen in the event of shadowing. Of course Pure Vision Plasma's contain both these features."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.