AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a WEGA KV-36XBR450 for a few years now but have never taken a stab at using it to watch HDTV programming. I've heard rumors that my cable provider may soon be adding Scientific Atlanta's Explorer 8000HD cable box/PVR. If I got one, would I need to buy a separate HDTV tuner to go between the cable box and the TV or would I be able to connect the cable box to the TV and watch 480i/p and 1080i programming without the need for a separate set-top box? It's such a basic question that I'm almost embarassed to ask it...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't be embarrassed. It's a valid question, and I'm sure many other people are wondering the same thing. If your cable company provides the box, you don't need anything else. All you need to do is get the box, and order the HD services and you're in business. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree your question is perfectly valid. Do you know if your cable company

has HD now or is the first time they are offering any kind of HD signal?

Other then that just call your cable company or they might even have a Web page with all the info as far as what Chanel's you have to pay for and what HD Chanel's are not extra. there is a forum here for HD box's and what they do and so forth.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewJohnston
I've had a WEGA KV-36XBR450 for a few years now but have never taken a stab at using it to watch HDTV programming. I've heard rumors that my cable provider may soon be adding Scientific Atlanta's Explorer 8000HD cable box/PVR. If I got one, would I need to buy a separate HDTV tuner to go between the cable box and the TV or would I be able to connect the cable box to the TV and watch 480i/p and 1080i programming without the need for a separate set-top box? It's such a basic question that I'm almost embarassed to ask it...
The SA8000HD has the High Definition tuner/converter a built into it so you won't need anything else. I already have the regular non-HD SA8000 through my cable company (TWC South Bay/L.A.) and am on the list for the HD version when it becomes available in the next few months. There will be a few more connections and cables than my regular SA8K but otherwise no other equipment will be needed. TWC here already offers some HD channels at no extra charge so any additional charges (if any) will be for the equipment, but as far as the customer service rep knows the HD version will be the same $5.95 per month rental fee as my existing regular SA8K. Right now if i wanted to get their HD channels i'd have to rent their SA3100HD tuner, but it conflicts with my SA8K because they use the same remote codes. This will all be fixed when they release the SA8KHD :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.