AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
The problem I see with this series is one many critics of TV these days mention: the storyline seems stretched like taffy. This probably because the showrunners wanted to do a 8 episode series for something like Netflix but ABC picked it up instead and demanded 13 episodes. Hence the writers had to stretch the storyline. I think this weeks episode should have come earlier in the season and was originally written that way. There's a reason why we like those 6 and 8 episode foreign series.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I'm beginning to question the source of this original cancellation announcement. When I google "Emergence Cancelled," all the other articles only speculate about whether it will be cancelled, including this one posted today: https://www.cancelledscifi.com/2019/11/07/will-emergence-be-renewed-or-cancelled/

If ABC had made an official announcement about its cancellation, the news would be posted by numerous reputable websites that focus on the entertainment and TV industry.
I have been thinking the same thing. Every time I google it I don't get anything. In addition, some article say that it is likely to be renewed and some say likely to be cancelled. Wish we could get an official answer.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing. Every time I google it I don't get anything. In addition, some article say that it is likely to be renewed and some say likely to be cancelled. Wish we could get an official answer.
Thanks for confirming. If anyone would know the media landscape for this type of info, it would be you.

·
Registered
17,470 Posts
Yeah, I certainly roll my eyes on a lot of the stuff that happens, but I really like the characters, especially the Police Chief. She's got some great lines.

If they got the technical and logical stuff down a little better, it could be a really great show.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Thanks for confirming. If anyone would know the media landscape for this type of info, it would be you.
Emergence ratings have been bad - around .5 (latest episode was .7) which is below the threshold of what ABC usually tolerates. Critical response has also been very positive. However, it has nearly doubled its viewers in the live +7 putting it consistently in the top 25 and has performed better in that time slot for ABC than anything last year. Question is if ABC will take into account the delayed viewing or stick with same day only. Orrville had similarly low ratings and got a season 2 because the live +7 numbers were better (but was ultimately moved to HULU).

·
Registered
787 Posts
No new episode this week. ABC does seem to be on a mission to kill this show.
Pre-empted--so that viewers can get the umpteenth profile of Dolly Parton, as done by Robin Roberts. Another "Mickey Mouse" November Sweeps programming stunt, from the network famous for their "Mickey Mouse" scheduling decisions.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Shouldn't be a 10:00 show. It's a 8 or 9:00 show. Bad scheduling, and since that's ABC's fault, the network should take that into account.
Live TV watching..it ain't Survivor, most people record TV shows since...when was the VCR invented anyway...

·
Registered
787 Posts
BEST line of the series so far was spoken about Emily in last night's ep: "...she wants a robot daughter who will love her...which means she is off her nut..." This is getting to be the "twistiest" series of its kind, ever! And just when you think you've got it figured out, you get yet another "HOLY CRAP!" moment. It'll be interesting to see how many more "left turns" they can execute!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm not sure how Terry O'Quinn's presence signals a specific direction for a show. I've seen him play different kinds of roles over the years. So far he appears to be a villainous tech CEO-type, who was willing to let Piper die, but there's still a lot we don't know yet. Maybe she would've been dead long before now anyway if not for his tech, and maybe he's working to save more kids. Maybe he's aware of some kids developing powers with his tech, and he's trying to keep them out of the military's hands. Maybe he has an evil son-in-law doing these off-book experiments and he's trying to stop and contain it. So many possibilities.
I kinda sorta called it in my shotgun speculations that the person behind whatever was going on with Piper was someone related to Kindred and that Kindred was just trying to contain the situation. Regardless, whoever had complained about what Terry O'Quinn's presence meant for this show can rest easy now. ;)

That was an awful lot of blood for someone put into a headlock and forced to swallow a pill. But I guess Kindred was given the same thing those bodies in the morgue, that had been dissolved, were given.

Though I like the twists with Emily, I'm not sure that actor can carry the show as the primary villain. Not to mention, why doesn't she just adopt a kid if she's unable or doesn't want to have one biologically (which as far as we know she still can)? She's definitely nuts, but I hope there's more to her than that in terms of motivation.

At any rate, this show continues to move the story forward at a rapid pace and is rarely dull. I just wish ABC would stop taking every other week off.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Doesn't bode well:

From HOTP thread:

Ratings: Emergence Hits New Lows Returning From Latest Preemption
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Nov. 20, 2019

ABC’s Emergence returned from its latest, willy-nilly scheduling preemption to just 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, dropping 32 and 43 percent from its previous outing to easily mark series lows.

Of the Alphabet network’s Tuesday sitcoms, The Conners (5.7 mil/1.0, read recap), Bless This Mess (3.4 mil/0.6) and mixed-ish (2.6 mil/0.6) all held onto last week’s season lows in the demo, while black-ish (2.4 mil/0.6) ticked up.

Elsewhere on Tuesday…

NBC | The Voice (8.3 mil/1.3, read recap) was steady week-to-week, while This Is Us (7.3 mil/1.5, read post mortem) and New Amsterdam (5.5 mil/0.8, read post mortem) both ticked up with their fall finales.

CBS | NCIS (11 mil/1.0) dipped, FBI (8.8 mil/0.8) rebounded from last week’s series low, and New Orleans (6.9 mil/0.7) also ticked up.

THE CW | The Flash (1.3 mil/0.5) ticked up, while Arrow (742K/0.2, read recap) was steady.

FOX | The Resident (3.9 mil/0.8) ticked up, while Empire (2.7 mil/0.7) was steady.

The Live+Same Day numbers reported in our daily-ish ratings column do not reflect a show’s overall performance, given the increases in delayed playback via DVR and streaming platforms. These Live+Same Day numbers instead are used to illustrate any trends or high/low superlatives. Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

https://tvline.com/2019/11/20/emerge...n-1-episode-7/

·
Registered
607 Posts
Terry O'Quinn is too big an actor to go out that way. I can speculate that he overpowered his attacker and walked out of the cell. All of that took place off camera and they never showed who walked out of the cell.

I wonder if Emily is actually Version 1.0 of whatever Piper is.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Terry O'Quinn is too big an actor to go out that way. I can speculate that he overpowered his attacker and walked out of the cell. All of that took place off camera and they never showed who walked out of the cell.

I wonder if Emily is actually Version 1.0 of whatever Piper is.
Good takes. I hadn't thought of either of those possibilities. I'm not saying I agree (or disagree), but I like these kinds of speculative discussions for shows like this.

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
If Piper's special power is manipulating magnetism to move metal (like Magneto), how did she throw the reporter dude across the room? He's not made of metal.

121 - 140 of 224 Posts