AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
If Piper's special power is manipulating magnetism to move metal (like Magneto), how did she throw the reporter dude across the room? He's not made of metal.
Yeah, and the walls and fixtures in the room around them started to undulate and warp as if they were about to come apart. That little monster-robot seems to be able to interrupt the force of gravity as well as projecting that massive electrical field. It's like they keep coming up with new powers for her in every episode. Next thing you know, she'll be "wishing people out into the cornfield" a la that classic Twilight Zone ep. Sheriff Jo better have Piper checked for midichlorians, or at least ctrl-alt-del the "kid" ASAP!

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
If Piper's special power is manipulating magnetism to move metal (like Magneto), how did she throw the reporter dude across the room? He's not made of metal.
We have Iron in our blood. Magneto even developed to the point that he could control the Iron in our blood.

Or, and more likely, she has more abilities then just controlling metal.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yeah, and the walls and fixtures in the room around them started to undulate and warp as if they were about to come apart. That little monster-robot seems to be able to interrupt the force of gravity as well as projecting that massive electrical field. It's like they keep coming up with new powers for her in every episode. Next thing you know, she'll be "wishing people out into the cornfield" a la that classic Twilight Zone ep. Sheriff Jo better have Piper checked for midichlorians, or at least ctrl-alt-del the "kid" ASAP!
IIRC, one of the first things Piper did in an early episode is rip a hole in the wall of the house, I assume by drawing on metal nails or screws or whatever. She also blew a hole in the wall of a house in that fake neighborhood. I believe Wilkis and/or Kindred have mentioned more than once how she's evolving and don't know what she's capable of. That aspect is an important plot point of the show: the danger to Jo and her family of keeping her around.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Or, and more likely, she has more abilities then just controlling metal.
Then we're leaving the realm of science fiction and moving into superhero fantasy.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Then we're leaving the realm of science fiction and moving into superhero fantasy.
Being able to move things with your mind, metal or otherwise, is already fantasy. The show has not told us any rules about what Piper can and cannot do yet, AFAIK.

·
Registered
18,203 Posts
Remember the movie Screamers starring Peter Weller? Piper is a new Type 3 Screamer. Humanity is f'd. Lol.

Reactions: Garrett Adams

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
According to Yahoo News, Emergence will get its 13-episode run. Renewal will get decided in the spring:

ABC’s early 2020 game plan also finds the new 50 Cent-produced drama For Life (watch trailer here) taking over Emergence‘s Tuesday-at-10 pm slot beginning Feb. 11 when the latter series wraps its 13-episode rookie run. The network will decide Emergence‘s fate in the spring.
Source

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
So did anyone even notice Emergence didn't air this week? ABC seems to be going out of its way to kill it.
Not surprised at all! Then they'll sit there in their meetings and wonder why the new shows cannot hold an audience. Maybe if they put down their own mobile devices long enough they would have their answers? Just another reason why I barely watch any program issued on the major networks. Instant gratification for most. It takes time to develop an audience. :mad:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I think they're just saving the remaining episodes for that "winter doldrums" space between the end of the holiday specials and the start of February sweeps. Notice that they referred to that most recent one as the "Fall finale?" They could actually "leave it hangin'" for a decision as late as May, but those ratings don't make it sound very promising.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Heads up for those still interested in the show...tonight's (12/10) episode is being promo'ed as "new," and apparently is what ABC referred to as "the Fall Finale," The spot that ran on ABC this afternoon sounds ominous, hinting a big change is coming for "a beloved character." Maybe that means Piper is getting an upgrade to a faster processor?

Maybe ABC is starting to finally run low on "special holiday programming." That would be a good thing.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Oof. I liked the idea of Emily being a robot better. This felt like they've started making it up on the fly. Oh well. Another high-concept show goes down the drain due to poor planning... :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Being able to move things with your mind, metal or otherwise, is already fantasy. The show has not told us any rules about what Piper can and cannot do yet, AFAIK.
The episode a couple back with the off-camera narration was a loser. Wth, was up with that? My wife kept demanding I go into settings and correct the mistake.

Do not do that again...ever.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I liked this episode and the twist that they too are robots (artificial). Thought it was cool.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I liked this episode and the twist that they too are robots (artificial). Thought it was cool.
Yeah, it was a big twist but I don't know how I feel about it. Figures the new "Splinter" lady was an AI. But didn't Benny have a well known career prior to this as an investigative journalist? Which means "AI Benny" had to be around for a long time, just waiting to be used for this kidnapping of Piper? More likely the real Benny was kidnapped and replaced with an LMD. Umm, oops - wrong show. :p

The long term plot line, should it get renewed, may now be starting to come into focus. Perhaps this Splinter group is going to take over the world by replacing leaders with exact duplicates! That's an original idea! :D

It's fluffy fun and my wife & I enjoy watching it together - not a lot of shows like that for us. You enjoy something like this more if you don't ask too many questions. I guess ABC will wait and see what the numbers are like before making a decision on renewal, as we still haven't heard anything. But you know it will return after a month's hiatus with another significant drop in viewership. That's generally how it goes.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
At least the show explained how Benny was able to walk across the entire length of Long Island with a gunshot wound. Though this big twist certainly raises a number of other questions, not the least of which is why he didn't hatch some scheme to grab Piper weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Yeah this was a neat twist and the actual 'Emergence' as it were. But as you said it raises a ton of new questions about the overall plot.

It's ridiculous but we like it so far, mostly because of Jo and Piper.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, it was a big twist but I don't know how I feel about it. Figures the new "Splinter" lady was an AI. But didn't Benny have a well known career prior to this as an investigative journalist? Which means "AI Benny" had to be around for a long time, just waiting to be used for this kidnapping of Piper? More likely the real Benny was kidnapped and replaced with an LMD. Umm, oops - wrong show. :p

The long term plot line, should it get renewed, may now be starting to come into focus. Perhaps this Splinter group is going to take over the world by replacing leaders with exact duplicates! That's an original idea! :D...
Yeah, straight out of a 1966 superhero movie that was a sequel to a hit ABC TV series. Holy rip-off, Batman!

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
At least the show explained how Benny was able to walk across the entire length of Long Island with a gunshot wound. Though this big twist certainly raises a number of other questions, not the least of which is why he didn't hatch some scheme to grab Piper weeks ago.
We don't know his point was to grab her. Perhaps he got involved so he could watch over her and protect her and see how things go. When they found out things were out of control (other people trying to take her) and particularly when she finally found out who she truly is they decided it was time to bring her into their group and tell her the whole thing.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Benny and whoever else could be out there just leading normal lives and trying to "fit in" he could have been acting as a normal reported for years, decades. We don't know how long this things have been there. Perhaps Piper is a newer version, etc.

I don't think he was used to kidnap her, once they told Piper who/what she really is, they probably figured it was best she be with her own kind.

141 - 160 of 224 Posts