AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I have begun working on parts of my basement... and I am in the planning stages. Some of you have offered to meet at my house and help me to finalize my plans.

So, I am having a meet to help avoid some of the mistakes and learn from you. I am offering food, drinks, and the usual good time (without the big picture we are all used to).

The time is open since I am at the mercy of the group. Anyone can suggest a day, and once we have a few people committed we will lock on a date that works for the majority.

thanks

Itai

·
Registered
27,598 Posts
Itai,

If the meet doesn't work, you can stop by any time. You are relatively close and I'd be happy to show you what I did.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think this Sunday is a good choice since there are no NFL playoff games (notice how I have my priorities in order
).

And I always have a tape measure in my truck!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/0

I think this Sunday is a good choice since there are no NFL playoff games (notice how I have my priorities in order
).

And I always have a tape measure in my truck!

Not sure what I have going on this weekend...

Itai, perhaps you could fill us in with a bit of what you are wanting to achieve from your room/space. Perhaps you could specify where you are at in the construction process.

From talking with you, I am pretty sure you were set on a dedicated room? Do you know yet if you want the room decoupled? Two rows of seats? What are your current planned dimensions including ceiling height. Do you want a stage? Treated walls?

Craig

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are some of the basics

1. dimensions: 25' long * 15' wide * 7.5' long

2. sound 7.1 speakers

3. acoustically transparent screen with 16:9 ratio

4. GOM covered walls

5. two rows of seats - berkline 088 due to my size and size of the room. I am debating between 6 or 8.

6. all speakers are hidden in columns and behind the screen.

7. equipment is outside the room, with a touch screen used to control the equipment.

8. stage with sand

9. double layer of drywall (thinking about the need for green glue)

10. walls will be decoupled, ceiling is an issue which we will address in person

I have some initial plans which I am going to attach soon.

Itai

·
Registered
998 Posts
Count me in but I think I am doing something sat.... and I dont think I will be moving real fast or early on sunday either.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You can count me in too! This weekend and next are probably not good for me, but after that could be good.

Might I suggest that you have tape measures, big (fat) sharpies (for writing on the floor! really!), and exact dimensions of your planned chairs, speakers, (including the sub), screen (viewing area and total dimensions including frame/masking), and wall fabric (the width). Also, which projector you're using, in particular its throw range.

Hope you can deal with "too many cooks"!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the weekend of Feb 10,11? Does anyone have a preference between either dates?

I will have the dimensions of speakers (already have most of them), subs (two are in the running), chairs, projector.

Tape measures and sharpies are on standy, ready for orders.

Can't wait to get cooking with all of the chefs...

Itai

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff and Kevin... are either of you planning to have your meet on the same weekend? I did not intend for a conflict.

Itai

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Itai,

I guessing that I'm not going to be able to attend as a lurker, but if it works out, I'd like to attend and see what I can learn.

What city in Michigan is this going to happen in?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys /forum/post/0

here are some of the basics

1. dimensions: 25' long * 15' wide * 7.5' long

2. sound 7.1 speakers

3. acoustically transparent screen with 16:9 ratio

4. GOM covered walls

5. two rows of seats - berkline 088 due to my size and size of the room. I am debating between 6 or 8.

6. all speakers are hidden in columns and behind the screen.

7. equipment is outside the room, with a touch screen used to control the equipment.

8. stage with sand

9. double layer of drywall (thinking about the need for green glue)

10. walls will be decoupled, ceiling is an issue which we will address in person

I have some initial plans which I am going to attach soon.

Itai

Hi Itai,

I hit a decent quota for trips to Michigan in the past few months, and have other things scheduled in, but I can offer suggestions from afar.

I assume there are some plans for acoustic treatments?

What are you thinking when you say the front speakers are hidden in columns? Any chance you could build the front channels flush with a built-out front wall? It looks like you have the depth. There are some creative means to make a baffle wall work and still have room for upgrades down the road.

Good to see you again this past weekend.

Best Regards,

-Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
Itai,

Feb 10th works for me as the wife just said she is taking the kid to a friends, though I'm not sure I can offer anything the others wouldn't already suggest. Would be great to get to know you all better seeing I have a little more time on my hands.

I will say this, get rack space for twice as many components you already own! I'm learing the hard way.

What type of FP?

Scott

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is starting to heat up... I am getting excited.

Mark, I meant that the front speakers will be behind a fake wall and an acoustically transparent screen, not in columns. I am not sure what a baffle wall is... but I think I want it. I am not sure what you mean about the quota, I thought this is your home and you just visit Chicago for the girfriend. I am sure you will be helpful as things progress with your vast knowledge. You are also a finalist with both of your subs, so you have a stake in this as well.

Scott, it was great meeting you at Pete's in the 2 channel room. My projector is the panasonic ae-900. The plan is to have a small room for all of the electronics. If you can make it, I am sure you will have a blast, this is a really great group.

Winston, if you can make it and you think you can learn then please stop by. The beauty of this group is learning and socializing.

The location is Novi.

Itai

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:

Mark, I meant that the front speakers will be behind a fake wall and an acoustically transparent screen, not in columns. I am not sure what a baffle wall is... but I think I want it. I am not sure what you mean about the quota, I thought this is your home and you just visit Chicago for the girfriend. I am sure you will be helpful as things progress with your vast knowledge. You are also a finalist with both of your subs, so you have a stake in this as well.

Scott, it was great meeting you at Pete's in the 2 channel room. My projector is the panasonic ae-900. The plan is to have a small room for all of the electronics. If you can make it, I am sure you will have a blast, this is a really great group.

Winston, if you can make it and you think you can learn then please stop by. The beauty of this group is learning and socializing.

The location is Novi.

Itai

Itai,

Are you planning a hush box for your projector or just hanging it from the ceiling and leaving it exposed. Having the pj in a vented hush box goes a long way in not only cutting down excess noise in the theater but it will keep the theater cooler as well. This well be very advantageous to you when you have 40 people from the HEMI group over for your first HT meet.

What do you mean by a "fake wall." Do you mean the way I have my front proscenium set up with GOM stretched over 2x4 framing?

Craig

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron /forum/post/0

Might I suggest that you have tape measures, big (fat) sharpies (for writing on the floor! really!), and exact dimensions of your planned chairs, speakers, (including the sub), screen (viewing area and total dimensions including frame/masking), and wall fabric (the width). Also, which projector you're using, in particular its throw range.

In the beginning planning stages of my theater, I also used the blue painters tape around the rooms perimeter and where the stage and riser is located. This works really well at giving you an idea as to where everything will be located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron /forum/post/0

Hope you can deal with "too many cooks"!

Did somebody mention food??

Craig

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:

The location is Novi.

Itai

Gonna try hard to make it out. Met Kevin and Seth at Winston's back in '02 and been out to Kevin's several times, but was busy everytime folks met up.

I used painters tape on the floor as well, but I don't have a dedicated room. I went with more of the "media" room. This was all for resale purposes since we planned to move after a few years. Now I wish I had done more since the market is so bad for the seller and I see us in our current home for longer than we originally thought (which is fine).

So what day are you thinking??

sc

1 - 20 of 80 Posts