AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - As we speak (or you read this) I've got a crew of folks here insulating the basement. I'm concerned with their techniques and wanted your expertise before confronting them:

1) I built my walls 1" away from the poured concrete walls to leave room for ventilation. They're stapling the R-13 on the interior of the joists which makes the R-13 touch the concrete. I think this will potentially cause a mold problem. Should'nt they face staple the R-13?

2) They're not splitting the batts to go around the electrical wires. They're simply pushing the batts over the top of the wires, thereby compressing them. Should'nt they split the batts?

3) I asked them to double insulate in the joist cavities above the theater space. There is already a R-19 batt installed there with the kraft face pointing up wards. They want to use a second R-19 batt below the existing one with the kraft face pointing down. Will this trap moisture between the two batts and cause a problem?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jeff

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm just glad you didn't leave your questions to the last minute?!

One word of caution, be careful about the replies you'll get as different rules apply to different parts of the country.

Re # 1; I attached a sheet of plastic (4-mil) to the wall side of the framing Again, this is because of my location (Midwest) and this is how friends, etc. had done it in theirs (same area).

I stapled my insulation to the insides.

You know, the best people to ask would be your installers. Assuming they've done it before, ask them why they are doing it a certain way. I think you'll find that they'll be happy to explain. However, ask like you're trying to learn and not because you think they're doing it "wrong".

Good luck!

Steven

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nzkiwi71
You know, the best people to ask would be your installers.
Agreed. Unfortunately, the don't speak English and just nod and smile when asked a question.

I've called the guy who does speak English and he's instructed them to split the batts for the wire. I doubt they do it but, at this point, I'm out of options.

Still wondering if anyone has an opinion on the double vapor barrier in the joist cavities??? I don't want a mold problem later on!

Thanks, and keep the replies coming!

Jeff

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,578 Posts
They probably rounded up the crew doing your basement at 7-11 this morning. Or where ever the day laborers congregate in your county. Best thing is to look over their shoulder and intimidate them all day if you think they are taking shortcuts.

The fiberglass should be split for wires. As for the 1 inch gap along the wall there are opinions on both sides on this site.

As for the ceiling, not certain that there would be any problem but you could use unfaced batts.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Regarding the ceiling insulation - There are a couple of issues to consider.

First, if you are planning to use a drop ceiling, code in NJ requires that the kraft paper be removed. The only way that the paper can stay is if it gets covered with a fire resistant material like drywall. You would need to check to see what (if any) local codes apply in your area.

Second, having 2 vapor barriers on opposite sides of a cavity is a bad idea - moisture can get trapped between the barriers and help mold to grow. One solution is to remove the paper; another is to slice it liberally with a utility knife so that any trapped moisture has an escape route.

Good luck,

Dwight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.