AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this device. Supposedly uses electrical wiring of your house as an antenna.

Does this thing really work? Applicable for Digital signal reception?

Or am I better off with a RS Double Bow Tie?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.....

I havent seen this particular unit, but I have seen many similar ones. None of them perform up to thier claims, caveat emptor!!!

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I've got another brand of basically the same thing. It works ok for higher numbered analog channels, but the RS double bow tie antenna works about 3 times better for me with the digital channels. That's my experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought one ($20 plus $5 shipping from J and R - http://www.jandr.com ). It arrives today. I will check it out over the weekend and let you know how it works... I'm sure it's very site specific (i.e. size of house, single/multi story, etc. etc..).

Since it also can be used as a signal amplifier, I figured at worst case I can

use it to boost my cable signal or the signal of whatever antenna I end up with if this one doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I tried a similar unit (same concept anyway) from Radio Shack and it was useless. Apparently, they work pretty good in more rural areas, but lousy in the city. I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, the Emerson EAN3000 is NOT an antenna eliminator! Got NOTHING when I hooked it up as an antenna. So went out and bought a RS Double Bowtie, cut off the 300 ohm lead, wired up a 300-75 ohm transformer, and connected it to my SIR-T150 via RG-6 cable. Got better reception than set-top UHF/VHF antenna (improved from 3-5 bars to 5-6 bars).

So next I hooked up the Emerson EAN300 as a 20db signal amplifier between the RS Double Bowtie and the T150, and now get 7 steady bars, with an occasional 8 (this looks like about 50% on the Samsung scale).

This is for our ONE and only digital station (NBC) in Austin TX. Could not pick up the local FOX digital (I hear they are only broadcasting at 1 kw!!! vs about 100kw for the NBC affiliate). And no way I could get the Waco (CBS) digital station that is about 70 miles away.

Looks like if I want more digital stations I'll either have to wait (up to a year or more), or go the big honkin' UHF antenna in the attic!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, it was well stated before, if it sounds too good to be true...

Worse yet; is the RS BowTie has been discontinued. The salesman at the local RS said when the stock on their shelves is gone; that's it!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Look at it this way: scientists and engineers have spent cumulative decades designing, building and testing antenna systems for optimum terrestrial television reception...and research continues apace, delving into improved performance via diversity reception and "smart" antennas that will communicate with future receivers. Pity they've all been wasting their time when a simple transformer can inductively utilize the completely randomly sized and shaped AC wiring in your house and achieve the same result!;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.