AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do monoprice HDMI cables have good shielding? I used a sony HDMI cable along with a monoprice HDMI cable for my onkyo 705 receiver and I'm getting a hiss/hum from my speakers that I can't figure out. I'm guessing its the shielding.

Based on the Hum Faq it does not seem to be a ground loop problem.

·
Registered
22,852 Posts
What leads you to suspect the HDMI cable?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14165080

What leads you to suspect the HDMI cable?

The Hum FAQ mentioned shielding as a cause.

I suspect the HDMI cables because there is NOTHING else connected. I've disconnected the coaxial cabletv cable from my TV. There is an HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver and an HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

·
Registered
22,852 Posts
"Hiss" and "hum" could be indicative of two different issues/problems. Which is it, a Hiss or Hum?

If it's hum... could be ground loop.

If it's hiss... could be a noisy receiver.

Disconnect everything from the receiver. If the problem is still there, try a different electrical circuit or... another receiver.

Add each device one at a time and determine which one is the culprit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14167474

"Hiss" and "hum" could be indicative of two different issues/problems. Which is it, a Hiss or Hum?

If it's hum... could be ground loop.

If it's hiss... could be a noisy receiver.

Disconnect everything from the receiver. If the problem is still there, try a different electrical circuit or... another receiver.

Add each device one at a time and determine which one is the culprit.

Its a hiss, and its brand new receiver, not a week old! Can the problem be solved?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is the PS3 the only HDMI device? Do you have any games for it, and if so, what is the sound like for them, very loud? How high is the level setting for PS3 as opposed to other inputs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteves /forum/post/14168474

Is the PS3 the only HDMI device? Do you have any games for it, and if so, what is the sound like for them, very loud? How high is the level setting for PS3 as opposed to other inputs?

I listened again and its a hum. The PS3 is the only HDMI device. I have games for it and the hum is the same as for DVDs when the games are paused. When the game and the DVD are playing you can't hear the hum because the soundtrack overshadows it.

"How high is the level setting for PS3 as opposed to other inputs?" - I don't know. How do I find that out.

I connected my old DVD player via component inputs to see if it has a hum as well. It didn't for a day then it started to hum as well??!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is everything coming from a common (the same) powerstrip and/or AC outlet?
Quote:
I don't know. How do I find that out.

Does it get louder or softer when you change between the inputs?
Quote:
It didn't for a day then it started to hum as well??!

Very weird! Did you check to make sure your A/V cables aren't near your AC power cords? Are the cables for the DVD player reasonably good? Did you try a different HDMI cable? What's your speaker setup like and where are those cables run?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteves /forum/post/14175603

Is everything coming from a common (the same) powerstrip and/or AC outlet?

Does it get louder or softer when you change between the inputs?

Very weird! Did you check to make sure your A/V cables aren't near your AC power cords? Are the cables for the DVD player reasonably good? Did you try a different HDMI cable? What's your speaker setup like and where are those cables run?

At first the VCR was not making a hum, now it is and its louder than the PS3! I am going to try and re-arrange the wires like you suggested. The A/V cables may be too close to the power line. I haven't tried a different HDMI cable yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts