Emia's latest project are a flashback to the Quad era. They are custom-built powered speakers that each contain two completely reengineered Quad ESL-57 speakers (aka stacked Quads) and integrated biamplification using custom-made tube amps. They feature passive line-level crossovers and silver wiring, with everything housed in spalted maple enclosures.

Emia's rebuild Quads had integrated amplification.
There's no price (yet) for these speakers, but I can attest to their capabilities. Ultimately, what you get is room-filling sound from room-filling speakers. I always love hearing vintage gear deliver quality that stands up to contemporary gear and this system had it in spades. As we listened to "Roots Man" by Junior Marvin (from Police and Thieves) and "Jamaica Nice/Take me Home Country Roads" by Yellowman, I was especially struck by the natural tonality of the basslines.
Producing rich, accurate, natural sound was not a problem for these speakers.
The rest of the system was as eccentric as the speakers, with a deconstructed (and reconstructed) Garrard 501 turntable and high-mass tonearm. The Emia phono stage was a proof of concept (i.e. prototype) that achieves RIAA correction with a capacitorless design.

And then there's the volume control for the system (a silver autoformer resistive attenuator) which was the only item with a price tag attached: $5400.

Does this bespoke vintage kit all add up to something profound? Almost. While it's definitely a trip to hear such gear at work, I'm keenly aware that the MartinLogan Expression ESL 13As I heard at the show are superior speakers, in addition to being substantially more compact. However, for avid audiophiles with the right mix of bank account and nostalgia, plus a keen sense of audio adventurousness, Emia's double-stacked, Quad-inspired speakers could be just the ticket to ride.

Mark Henninger