AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I benefit by adding a XPA-3 to my Pioneer VSX-03TXH? I watch a lot of action movies, 95% HT at high volumes. I seem to be experiencing some clipping during explosions and heavy action sequences. Speakers are not very high end but looking to upgrade soon. The Emo XPA-3 is reasonably priced which is why I am looking at the addition.

Speakers:

Energy C-500 Towers L/R

Energy C-C100 Center

Energy C-200 Bookshelf Rears

Energy S10.3

Thx guys.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I can't find any test of the power section of the Pioneer. Either way, you will most likely only gain 3db-4db of headroom with the XPA. The larger power reserves may be enough to solve your problem in your room since these are only peaks of loud volume. The XPA series is an awesome amplifier line.

How big is your Room and how far do you sit from your front speakers? I am curious to see what kind of SPL readings you can get before clipping.

You may be better off looking for speakers with very high sensitivity. Your Energy fronts are 91db/1w. That is ok, but every 3db of efficiency you gain you essentially double the amplifier power.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16907112

I can't find any test of the power section of the Pioneer. Either way, you will most likely only gain 3db-4db of headroom with the XPA. The larger power reserves may be enough to solve your problem in your room since these are only peaks of loud volume. The XPA series is an awesome amplifier line.

How big is your Room and how far do you sit from your front speakers? I am curious to see what kind of SPL readings you can get before clipping.

You may be better off looking for speakers with very high sensitivity. Your Energy fronts are 91db/1w. That is ok, but every 3db of efficiency you gain you essentially double the amplifier power.

Room is 12'X15'. I sit 9' away from speakers. Don't have a SPL meter. I was thinking about new speakers but if the XPA-3 can solve my problem that is the cheaper route currently. As I don't think I can find new fronts for $600.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 /forum/post/16914932

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think you need to spend money on speakers and not an amp that cost more then your main speakers
and it might be the sub that is holding you back the most, the mains probably outperform it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16914977

I think you need to spend money on speakers and not an amp that cost more then your main speakers
and it might be the sub that is holding you back the most, the mains probably outperform it.

Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts
What is the speaker settings in the AVR? Do you have them set to small? Doing that may help divert needed power from the woofers in your towers and help out the mid and upper range. Your sub may be the limiting factor in how well the low range sound will perform when you do this.

If you had a decent sub I'd say try 80hz crossover - or even higher - 100hz even will help with a weak AVR.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16916225

What is the speaker settings in the AVR? Do you have them set to small? Doing that may help divert needed power from the woofers in your towers and help out the mid and upper range. Your sub may be the limiting factor in how well the low range sound will perform when you do this.

If you had a decent sub I'd say try 80hz crossover - or even higher - 100hz even will help with a weak AVR.

They were set to Large. I set them to Small all around and bumped the subs crossover to 100hz. I need a few days to see if this has fixed the problem. I am starting to think about adding a 2nd S10.3 instead of going with more power to the mains via the XPA-3. hmmmm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts