AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but can I go wrong with any one of these?

Would any of you pick one over the others?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Performance wise, I wouldn't expect to hear any difference, especially in proper blind test.

Economically, Outlaw is still manufactured here in the US. Adcom used to be, not sure about the current models and the photos don't have enough resolution to read the rear panels. Emotiva, made in China.

My Adcom GFA-7000, purchased in '95 is still going strong. If it ever needs to be replaced, I'll probably go Outlaw for economic reasons.

I would ask yourself if you really need that much power. The difference between say the 7125 and 7500 is less than 3dB at full power and you get 2 extra channels for less money.

-Brent

·
The Village Idiot
9,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf /forum/post/17883259

I would ask yourself if you really need that much power. The difference between say the 7125 and 7500 is less than 3dB at full power and you get 2 extra channels for less money.

-Brent

+1

I have a 5.1 setup with 89db sensitivity speakers all driven with an Emotiva UPA-7 with 125wpc all channels driven. There is no lack of power - does not matter if I set all speakers to large or small - plenty of power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!

+1

+1

As far as needed power, I'm running Vienna Acoustics Beethovens 91dB, Theatro 91dB, and Hadyns 89dB and am being told that I need "a good amount" power to get their full potential. I'm coming off a Denon AVR-5803 (170W x 7) and wanting to upgrade to 'budget' separates but also gain some headroom for a dedicated home theater.

Am I better off holding out for a 5 x 200W?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 1:16 /forum/post/17897655

Thanks for the info!

+1

+1

As far as needed power, I'm running Vienna Acoustics Beethovens 91dB, Theatro 91dB, and Hadyns 89dB and am being told that I need "a good amount" power to get their full potential. I'm coming off a Denon AVR-5803 (170W x 7) and wanting to upgrade to 'budget' separates but also gain some headroom for a dedicated home theater.

Why do you need a good amount of power? Those are pretty standard efficiencies.

Also, define full potential? If you can get to your desired SPL level without clipping, I am not sure why you would need more power.

·
The Village Idiot
9,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 1:16 /forum/post/17897655

Thanks for the info!

+1

+1

The difference between 125wpc and 200wpc at full power is less than 3db. You can't distinguish 90db from 93db and both are too loud. And 125wpc will give you much more than 93db.

If all you need is 5 channels take a look at the Emotiva UPA-5 . It has the same transformer as the UPA-7 and 2 less channels to have to drive.

Reactions: dfarina

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but i'm also looking to replace my Denon 5803. I was looking at the Emotiva UPA-7 and the Emotiva UMC-1 7.1 Channel Preamplifier/Processor. I'm not sure what the Denon does driving all 7 channels...is it more or less than the UPA-7..Other than the surrond processing wouls these seperates be an upgrade? The downside is a have several SACD's and DVD audios I still occasionally listen to.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili /forum/post/20101268

I'm a little late to the party but i'm also looking to replace my Denon 5803. I was looking at the Emotiva UPA-7 and the Emotiva UMC-1 7.1 Channel Preamplifier/Processor. I'm not sure what the Denon does driving all 7 channels...is it more or less than the UPA-7..Other than the surrond processing wouls these seperates be an upgrade? The downside is a have several SACD's and DVD audios I still occasionally listen to.

Hard to say with any certainty. I would guess that the UPA-7 has comparable power.

You can see where it has an 850 VA transformer, which is pretty large, and weighs about the same as the Denon. These are clues that it would be comparable.

I always think in terms of the fact you need double the power for there to be a 3 dB difference in SPL. So a few watts here and there would not be significant, at least on paper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts