AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Anyone have experience with any of the Emotiva studio monitor speakers? Looking for something more portable that still packs a punch.

Bass is preferred. I'd rather EQ it down and I don't need studio quality, just hear good things about Emotiva and the size of these speakers fits my needs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbardy  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23892996

Hey everyone,

Anyone have experience with any of the Emotiva studio monitor speakers? Looking for something more portable that still packs a punch.

Bass is preferred. I'd rather EQ it down and I don't need studio quality, just hear good things about Emotiva and the size of these speakers fits my needs.

Thanks!
To get punch you need the Airmotiv6. If you ave the $ go for the Stealth 8. I listened to both at Emotiva. The Stealth edged the Air out by a small margin.

Another consideration would be the Adam F 7.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever listened to the M-audio BX8a?

My friend had a pair and I was insanely impressed with the bass on them. They could really bump and shake some stuff.

Know of any studio monitors similar to that? I'm considering getting them since I've heard them before and like them, but I heard they hum a lot. I don't really want to deal with humming if I put them on my desk.

Are the F7s pretty meaty?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbardy  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23899401

My friend had a pair and I was insanely impressed with the bass on them. They could really bump and shake some stuff.

Know of any studio monitors similar to that? I'm considering getting them since I've heard them before and like them, but I heard they hum a lot. I don't really want to deal with humming if I put them on my desk.

If you want that kind of bass, you probably need something with an 8" woofer. If you live near a guitar center, they have many different pairs available to listen to. And regarding that hum, if people don't have an external DAC, you are susceptible to interence from your computer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on. I have a DJ mixer / external soundcard combo that I use as my PC soundcard. The mixer has XLR connections too, so that's how I'd connect the speakers to my PC. So maybe the humming wouldn't be a problem for me since that's a pretty solid setup.

Right now I have some huge Cerwin Vega VE-12s + a receiver that I only use 1 input on, so it seems really bulky. Just don't know if I can part with the Vega's honestly.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23899410

If you want that kind of bass, you probably need something with an 8" woofer. If you live near a guitar center, they have many different pairs available to listen to. And regarding that hum, if people don't have an external DAC, you are susceptible to interence from your computer.

Agreed. You should definitely visit Guitar Center to see if you need that larger woofer, even if you decide to go with an Airmotiv 4. I have heard the 4s, and they sound very good, but they don't have the bass of larger driver monitors you'll find at Guitar Center.

And external DAC can certainly help with hum. Also, you have to be careful of ground loop problems.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
You won't get that kind of bass unless you also get a sub.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbardy  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23899401

Are the F7s pretty meaty?

I have listened to most all brands carried by Guitar Center. I do not remember how the M-audio sounds. I usually discard from my memory the ones that do not impress. The Adam stands out as above average of their monitors.

Adam cost more and there is usually a good reason for that.

If all you want is insane bass you need to look further for speakers. Monitors are supposed to be relatively neutral.

I do think the Adam and Emotiva Stealth 8 has excellent bass.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23899496

I have listened to most all brands carried by Guitar Center. I do not remember how the M-audio sounds. I usually discard from my memory the ones that do not impress. The Adam stands out as above average of their monitors.

Adam cost more and there is usually a good reason for that.

If all you want is insane bass you need to look further for speakers. Monitors are supposed to be relatively neutral.

I do think the Adam and Emotiva Stealth 8 has excellent bass.

Neutral refers more to the type of sound, rather than bass. A warm speaker has recessed highs, a bright speaker has emphasized highs, neutral by virtue is somewhere inbetween. Adam is a great brand I agree, they are up there with Genelac in terms of sound quality, but indeed they charge for it.

I think if you want comparable bass to those Cerwin Vegas, you are going to need a sub as those towers have 12" woofers...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a set of Tannoy Ellipse 8's and they were fantastic. Alas, too big for where I was using them. I just unboxed a set of Airmotiv 4's but will have to get back to you on SQ as I forgot to grab the cables I needed (these are for my office, set up as nearfields). I'm debating whether or not to get their DC1 to match...pretty incredible pairing for $800 total right now (both on sale).

Just to be clear....the Airmotiv 4's are NOT small.

·
Registered
224 Posts
All set up. iPad running bluetooth to a Logitech adapter (for now). Using some RCA-XLR cables I had from Monoprice to connect the output of the Logitech to the Airmotiv's. I've personally experienced how bad the DAC is on the iPad when connecting it directly to an outboard amp for my outdoor speakers while my Yamaha AVR was in for service. Putting a NuForce Icon iDo inline made a BIG impact on clarity in that situation. Trying to decide if I want to do something similar for the office setup...I don't need wireless based on how close everything is. Anyways...here's a pic to show you the size of the speakers:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Looks good, you could go with a balanced mixer like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, though for a run that short I don't think you need balanced connections.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW  /t/1497261/emotiva-airmotivs#post_23909195

All set up. iPad running bluetooth to a Logitech adapter (for now). Using some RCA-XLR cables I had from Monoprice to connect the output of the Logitech to the Airmotiv's. I've personally experienced how bad the DAC is on the iPad when connecting it directly to an outboard amp for my outdoor speakers while my Yamaha AVR was in for service. Putting a NuForce Icon iDo inline made a BIG impact on clarity in that situation. Trying to decide if I want to do something similar for the office setup...I don't need wireless based on how close everything is. Anyways...here's a pic to show you the size of the speakers:

Someone else recommended I get the Airmotiv4 monitors, how do you like the Airmotiv's so far?

·
Registered
224 Posts
they do a great job. biggest surprise is how much bass they have...hard to believe for their size. keep in mind, I'm using them in an office environment where they can't be cranked up but that's perfect for a nearfield design. I previously had Swann MKII's (returned them) and Tannoy Ellipse 8's (AWESOME, but alas way too big for an office setup). Be sure to order the 'AMD' risers that Emotiva sells with these on their Pro site. $25 I think

·
Registered
752 Posts
I love my airmotiv 4's. A little light on bass but good enough for me for near field listening

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My 2-channel setup consists of Airmotiv 5's, SVS SB-1000 for movies, and an Emotiva DC-1 DAC. The only real difference between the comparable Adam and Emotiva is where the ports are located. The ports on the Airmotiv are on the back of the speaker, so their placement from a back wall is critical. 8" works for me but some of the stuff I listen to still has a little more bass than I'd like. I only use the SB-1000 when I'm watching movies. It isn't needed for music. Sound is subjective, but I preferred the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 over the Adam A5x.

I got the DC-1 DAC mainly to push high-resolution audio to the speakers without down-converting using the PC's on-board audio ( SFF build and no room for dedicated sound card .) I listen to mostly classical and instrumental with a little opera thrown in. The current sale price is a really good bargain for a 24/192 USB DAC with high-quality headphone pre-amps and a full set of output options. The analog volume control is extremely accurate. I have all my PC media players set to 100% and use the DAC's volume control. The volume steps in .25 dB increments. Holding the remote steps 2 dB and pressing steps .25 dB per button press. Volume can be adjusted with the dial on the unit as well.

I highly recommend the DC-1 if listening to high-resolution audio, have a decent pair of headphones, and only have on-board PC audio.

The way I have everything connected now is 6' XLR to the speakers and using the RCA output to the SVS sub. I just let the sub handle the crossover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts