AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help/input on amplifier selections. I have a Denon 3808 and plan to buy an a 7.1 Setup consisting of Paradigm Studio 100's, Studio 690, and ADP390's for the surrounds and rear speakers. What are your opinions of an XPA-3 to power the fronts and center channel and then let the receiver handle the surrounds in a 7.1 setup? What are peoples opinions of sound characteristics with letting the receiver power the rear? Would I gain more by using the Denon as a Pre/Pro and get a XPA-2 for the front and a XPA-5 for the rest? Is there gains to doing this or should I save money by just getting a XPA-3 and putting the rest towards other components? Any advice or stories of what you did would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I incorporated the XPA-3 into my setup to let it power my fronts and center and let my RX-V3900 handle my QS8 surrounds. I feel like the amp made an improvement especially at higher volumes as the room is quite large at 6900 cu.ft.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I also use the XPA-3 to power my front speakers. I did not notice much of a difference over using my receiver for all 7 speakers. It's definitely more power, and the price is right, and you may get more milage out of it than I did.

A better question is whether your receiver powering just the surrounds is sufficient for your needs. It will certainly save you money
And surrounds are arguably less demanding (though that would depend on the movie.)

Sorry I can't be definitive, as I have only used the XPA-3.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since you are already considering an XPA-2/5 combination, I'd suggest just getting the XPA-5. You can always add the 2 later on if you feel you need it. I have a 5 powering my HT (Studio 100's) and it does a very good job. Resale on the 5 is also better than the 3 if you would ever sell it in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts